• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

I don't mean things like "Running Apple" and "Mouth of the Grape". I mean the process by which the Europeans took physical, governmental, and cultural possession of North America.

If a group of first world countries landed on previously undiscovered continent tomorrow, populated by aborigines, in what ways would the interaction be similar to the interaction between Europeans and Native Americans in the 1600-1800's? In what ways would it be different?
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#2 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Same: land and people will be exploited by first world nations.

Different: First world no longer concerned with "colonizing" land with racially white Europeans.

Basically the scenario already takes place. Let's use Africa as a case in point. China, Europe and the United States manipulate and fund rebellions, who stays in power, who doesn't etc. so they can basically have free reign over resources. While over there they work natives in diamond mines or harvesting other resources yet have little concern about paying them fair wages.

A lot of the policies to "help" these people have been proven to actually harm them. It keeps them in a constant state of need and dependence. The only difference is now basically there is a shift in power. The first world nations of the West are mostly controlled by Jewish powers rather than Aryan. So for example in South Africa they basically let the native white people get rape and killed along with the native blacks. But in Israel or some place if a finger nail is harmed on a Jew then an Arab town gets bombed. Whereas in the past there was some concern for the European.

The same thing happens in south east Asia, and South America and to a lesser degree East Europe. First world nations continue to exploit the weaker nations.

If we are dealing with a strictly aboriginal tribe they may need to be "civilized" first so they can learn the wonders of how great it is to work in a factory for 12 hours a day and have their limbs mauled off by machinery, all in return for some pieces of paper with a stamp on them that can be exchanged for rice and glass beads.

Or if that doesn't work then "diversify" them with colonists from the "third world" who are willing to do the job for them. Again we see this in Mexico where the Indigenous people are repeatedly brushed aside in favor of the Mestizos because of their non-conformity to the modern economic world.

I don't agree that it is "Mexico's fault" these people are starving. They often have too many babies and before colonization they killed each other for this reason as well. However it is clear that their land and the natural resources were taken from them and are now part of the global economic machine the feeds first world nations.

"We have nothing to lose, absolutely nothing, no decent roof over our heads, no land, no work, poor health, no food, no education, no right to freely and democratically choose our leaders, no independence from foreign interests, and no justice for ourselves or our children. But we say enough is enough! We are the descendants of those who truly built this nation, we are the millions of dispossessed, and we call upon all of our brethren to join our crusade, the only option to avoid dying of starvation!"

- Zapatista National Liberation Army (EZLN) Declaration of the Lácandon Jungle, 1993

Ihttp://www.chiapas-support.org/main.htm

#3 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

The first world nations of the West are mostly controlled by Jewish powers rather than Aryan. So for example in South Africa they basically let the native white people get rape and killed along with the native blacks. But in Israel or some place if a finger nail is harmed on a Jew then an Arab town gets bombed. Whereas in the past there was some concern for the European.

I think you mean "but in Israel, when israeli civilians are shelled for months by arab 'militants', the IDF goes and sends in drone strikes to kill known terrorist leaders and gets ripped to shreds by the left wing media for not 'exercising restraint'."
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#4 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I don't mean things like "Running Apple" and "Mouth of the Grape". I mean the process by which the Europeans took physical, governmental, and cultural possession of North America.

If a group of first world countries landed on previously undiscovered continent tomorrow, populated by aborigines, in what ways would the interaction be similar to the interaction between Europeans and Native Americans in the 1600-1800's? In what ways would it be different?

Depends if they're following the Prime Directive or not.

#5 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Depends if they're following the Prime Directive or not.

+1
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#6 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

But how does the prime directive relate to disease? Unintended consequences. By the way captain kirk, picard and others have screwed up the timeline and messed with a lot of alien cultures yet somehow go down in history as great men who adhered to this directive. On voyager we found out that the technological advancements of the 20th century came from a crashed future enterprize. It's all messed up already anyway.

#7 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

bump
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#8 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:01 AM

I think it matters what natural resources are there... like if there was oil I think the results would be the same... but otherwise we would just make some national geographic movies about it and move on...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users