• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Ok, so I need to use this stuff up before it goes bad! Help...

1) Real cranberries - bought them on a whim last week and have NO CLUE what to do with them. Do I have to use my food processor to chop them up, no matter what I make? (I hate using my food processor.)

2) Pumpkin. No soups, we're sick of it. And can't be dairy.

3) Butternut squash. No soups, no kugels.

And that's my imamother thread of the day! :)
Posted Image

#2 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

Steam or roast the squash and pumpkin and make them into a sauce for pasta.

#3 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

i think the cranberries work as a topping on cheesecake, but yeah i think you have to blend them (waiting for shuli to step in...)
I love to use pumpkin in my chicken soup and cholent on shabbos. Oh and i recently saw a recipe that uses pumpkin in brownie mix. I think it was canned but i'm sure you can sub with the right amount of cooked.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#4 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

No problem. I'll be right over.

On a serious note -- cranberries: make a sauce. Recipes are all over online, but my mother makes a good one with whole cranberries and sugar and not sure what else, simmered for a while.

Pumpkin -- muffins. I posted a recipe before I'm pretty sure.

Squash -- cook till soft, mash up, and add honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves (or whatever types of spices in that genre you have) to taste. If you have maple syrup, you can use that too (I'm allergic, so if I'm invited, skip it for me :p)
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#5 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Steam or roast the squash and pumpkin and make them into a sauce for pasta.

Interesting... would this taste ok on whole wheat pasta?

i think the cranberries work as a topping on cheesecake, but yeah i think you have to blend them (waiting for shuli to step in...)
I love to use pumpkin in my chicken soup and cholent on shabbos. Oh and i recently saw a recipe that uses pumpkin in brownie mix. I think it was canned but i'm sure you can sub with the right amount of cooked.

Pumpkins in cholent?? Oh my. I dunno if I'm that brave!

I'm intrigued by these pumpkin brownies though. Will google.

No problem. I'll be right over.

On a serious note -- cranberries: make a sauce. Recipes are all over online, but my mother makes a good one with whole cranberries and sugar and not sure what else, simmered for a while.

Pumpkin -- muffins. I posted a recipe before I'm pretty sure.

Squash -- cook till soft, mash up, and add honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves (or whatever types of spices in that genre you have) to taste. If you have maple syrup, you can use that too (I'm allergic, so if I'm invited, skip it for me :p)

I'm always so mad at myself for using $ from my food budget for useless things, so that's why I have to make something quick! :)

Cranberry sauce isn't really gonna work with my current diet. I'm wondering if I should make some sort of whole wheat muffins with them...

Pumpkin muffins is a good idea, thanks! I already have a recipe I like.

You'd just eat the squash in a mush? That might be good actually. Will try!

(To make this a real imamother thread, if you're allergic to maple syrup, does that mean you wouldn't be able to use fenugreek?)
Posted Image

#6 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

1) Real cranberries - bought them on a whim last week and have NO CLUE what to do with them. Do I have to use my food processor to chop them up, no matter what I make? (I hate using my food processor.)

Cook the pumpkin and squash with sauteed onions and spices, blend it and add it to a traditional bloody marry recipe. I never tried it but it sounds good in theory.

Make a smoothie with the cranberries.

#7 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Make a smoothie with the cranberries.

:nea:
Do you know what a cranberry is?

Shaina - can you make traditional cranberry sauce with splenda (for your diet) and freeze it? It goes well with most poultry or can be used with dessert.

Cranberries, orange juice, sugar/splenda, little lemon juice. Boil/simmer till syrupy. Add more sweetener if needed.

No blender etc needed. Just boil/simmer and prep is about a minute, literally.

#8 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, I love cranberry sauce with poultry.

The squash mush I ate at someone's house. I liked it and started making my own. I don't do it completely mashed, but with chunks. Kind of like mashed potatoes.
I have no problems with fenugreek -- I'm not sure I'm allergic; it may be a food sensitivity only.

#9 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

#10 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

Is it a type of phone?

I meant to say that it can be used to make smoothies along with other berries, bananas, yogurt and what not.

#11 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:18 PM

I meant to say that it can be used to make smoothies along with other berries, bananas, yogurt and what not.

Not really.
It's nothing like "other berries"

#12 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone eat them raw?

#13 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Does anyone eat them raw?

I'm sure someone does, but it's rare. They're ridiculously tart, the flavor needs cooking to get out, and they'll cause stomach upset raw.

That's why I'm pretty sure DQ just didn't know what they were and is now backpedaling :p

#14 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

No butternut squash soup? Are you crazy?
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#15 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

No butternut squash soup? Are you crazy?

:agree:

I love buttenut squash soup. I've had it a million ways/times, but this one time in a fancy restaurant they served it with popcorn as croutons (fancy places do this and it's quaint and charming. Cheap places do it and it's tacky). It was actually great!

(I do also eat it just roasted plain - it's great)

#16 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

I think there is an apple kugel recipe that uses real cranberry
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#17 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

I'm sure someone does, but it's rare. They're ridiculously tart, the flavor needs cooking to get out, and they'll cause stomach upset raw.

That's why I'm pretty sure DQ just didn't know what they were and is now backpedaling :p

How's my backpedaling going? I think I'm pretty good at it.

#18 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

i don't know - i love smoothies with cranberries, because the tartness offsets the sweetness of the other fruits. (then again, i use frozen cranberries, so maybe it's different...)

so, barring other information, i'm gonna say smoothie, and just roast the squash with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and it's delicious.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#19 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

i don't know - i love smoothies with cranberries, because the tartness offsets the sweetness of the other fruits. (then again, i use frozen cranberries, so maybe it's different...)

so, barring other information, i'm gonna say smoothie, and just roast the squash with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and it's delicious.

ok - but if you're doing it for the tartness, how many do you need for a smoothie - a dozen of them?

I can use a pint of blueberries or strawberries in one smoothie.

She's got more than a small handfull of cranberries. Surely you don't use a bag's worth in a smoothie or even 5. If you do, then you're weird.

(well, you're weird regardless. Ever since that "jewish tv show" I think of yechiel refael menachem whatever his name was from lakewood when I see your posts :) )

#20 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

"But it's a dry heat."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users