• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

I think I'm going to try to incorporate EVERYONE'S suggestions. So I'll even try a smoothie. No soup because I make it way too often. Ok, and no cholent because I hate cholent.

Arizona welcome back!!
Posted Image

#22 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:25 PM

cranberry smoothie (there's a lot more where this came from)
zinh.

#23 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Ok, so I need to use this stuff up before it goes bad! Help...

1) Real cranberries - bought them on a whim last week and have NO CLUE what to do with them. Do I have to use my food processor to chop them up, no matter what I make? (I hate using my food processor.)

2) Pumpkin. No soups, we're sick of it. And can't be dairy.

3) Butternut squash. No soups, no kugels.

And that's my imamother thread of the day! :)

cube pumpkin and squash, saute briefly in olive oil, add dry quinoa, broth, cranberries, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for a while.

cube pumpkin and squash, saute briefly in olive oil, add dry quinoa, broth, cranberries, bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for a while.

maybe also add some nutmeg at some point.
zinh.

#24 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

ok - but if you're doing it for the tartness, how many do you need for a smoothie - a dozen of them?

I can use a pint of blueberries or strawberries in one smoothie.

She's got more than a small handfull of cranberries. Surely you don't use a bag's worth in a smoothie or even 5. If you do, then you're weird.

i use about a handful of cranberries, a few strawberries, some mango, a frozen banana, and rice milk.

(well, you're weird regardless. Ever since that "jewish tv show" I think of yechiel refael menachem whatever his name was from lakewood when I see your posts :) )

:( :bigcry: and i didn't even watch that thing... :(
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#25 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

"But it's a dry heat."

#26 rachel b.

rachel b.

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

You can freeze those cranberries right in the bag. You're so lucky to have them! I am really missing those bagged cranberries this time of year. It's one of the few food things I really miss. I love them in muffins and tea bread.

#27 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:08 AM

What kind of diet are you on Shaina?

I have no suggestions other than what has already been made. I agree about the "what no butternut squash soup??" My daughter just dropped me in a container, it contains cumin. It was so good. I went out and got cumin and have now added it to my own soups.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#28 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

Interesting... would this taste ok on whole wheat pasta?

Pumpkins in cholent?? Oh my. I dunno if I'm that brave!

That's the only kind I eat. :)

Oh, yeah, we started doing that too. Butternut squash in cholent instead of potatoes.

#29 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:27 AM

Ok, the cooking/baking begins! Will report back.

(Oh, and nutmeg is banned from my spice cabinet.)
Posted Image

#30 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

Pumpkin muffins are in the oven.

We just made this smoothie and it's pretty good! My kids are devouring it. http://maresfoodandf...y-smoothie.html
Posted Image

#31 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

ok, I was wrong. :p

#32 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

ok, I was wrong. :p

You owe me one.

#33 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

You owe me one.

Oh man - gonna push it?

See, I admitted being wrong, but if you push it, I'll say that while I was completely wrong about cranberries being a good smoothie ingredient, I still believe 100% that you didn't know what a cranberry is. So ... eh. My "I was wrong" covered it all even though I really only believed in half. But if you push it I'll step back and withdraw the half I don't really think I'm wrong about.

#34 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

Oh man - gonna push it?

See, I admitted being wrong, but if you push it, I'll say that while I was completely wrong about cranberries being a good smoothie ingredient, I still believe 100% that you didn't know what a cranberry is. So ... eh. My "I was wrong" covered it all even though I really only believed in half. But if you push it I'll step back and withdraw the half I don't really think I'm wrong about.

how about if i push it about me being weird? :)
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#35 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Oh man - gonna push it?

I'm so not being pushy, it's not like I asked for your first born or for you to tattoo DQ on your forehead. If anything I might have you mow my lawn wearing a shaal.

#36 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

Anyway...

Breakfast was: spinach cranberry banana orange wheat germ almond milk smoothie that was actually good and pumpkin muffins that needed more sugar and less splenda
Lunch: pasta with really awesome pumpkin pasta sauce
Supper will be: chicken with cranberry sauce, roasted butternut squash

Thanks for the ideas, guys! Still have some more butternut squash to use up tomorrow, maybe I'll cave and make yet another soup...
Posted Image

#37 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

i know, i'm late, but there are many recipes for apple cranberry tarts/pies - i made one for thanksgiving and it was very good

#38 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#39 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

i find that it's a murder to cut the butternut squash (for soup). can't even imagine slicing it

#40 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users