• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#1 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Early this morning, "Hasidic reggae superstar" Matisyahu shocked the (Jewish) world with a tweet declaring, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise When the tide comes in I lose my disguise," and including links to bare-faced photos of himself.

Several hours later, Matis followed up on his website:
Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life. At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1146404.html

#2 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Looks like it. I pity his wife and kids.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#3 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

wow

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#4 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Looks like it. I pity his wife and kids.

wow

:stupid:

#5 Elana

Elana

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

wow is right. also feel sorry for all his fans, he was an example for so many frum kids...

#6 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

just becuz he shaved his beard doesnt mean he went off the d ........
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#7 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Dunno if you guys saw this but the article is updated to say that he is still religious.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#8 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

:agree:

Although it is true that someone who had a beard for religious reasons and shaved it is generally not heading down a great path...
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#9 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I think he's pretty typical of BT's who have gone this route. Chabad, and orthodoxy in general seem to look better from afar.

We might want to look at ourselves and ponder why so many fail to find our ways worthy enough to stick around.

#10 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

I think he's pretty typical of BT's who have gone this route. Chabad, and orthodoxy in general seem to look better from afar.

We might want to look at ourselves and ponder why so many fail to find our ways worthy enough to stick around.

Huh? Perhaps your experience differs from mine, but I know a fair number of BTs by way of chabad, and very few have "backslid"
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#11 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

this is so not a big deal..the fact is that nobody really knows him to judge correctly just that his beard was his look and now its not there.I think he's growing.
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#12 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Huh? Perhaps your experience differs from mine, but I know a fair number of BTs by way of chabad, and very few have "backslid"

I said he's typical of those who have gone "this" route, not typical of all BT's, obviously.

#13 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm not judging him at all. I'm sure his life isn't easy.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#14 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

I said he's typical of those who have gone "this" route, not typical of all BT's, obviously.

But your conclusion that we need to examine why "so many" find our way of life untenable seemed to indicate that you felt this was true of a significant portion of BTs

-Mark Twain

#15 DQ

DQ

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

I'm not judging him at all. I'm sure his life isn't easy.

At least he didn't turn Yoily. Why do you say his life isn't easy?

But your conclusion that we need to examine why "so many" find our way of life untenable seemed to indicate that you felt this was true of a significant portion of BTs

It is true of a significant portion of BTs and their kids.

#16 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

I posted this over A YEAR ago:

I think Matisyahu has been slowly but progressively selling out. He used to perform in a suit and hat and lately he's wearing all kinds of things... still wears his tzitzis out so that's cool.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#17 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Maybe its the Kiruv people (chabad and the like) who need to re-examine THEIR ways of bringing people in.....its a lot fuzzier and shinier when its being sold than what the reality really is a frum culture and lifestyle.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#18 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

It is true of a significant portion of BTs and their kids.

ok - that's what I was questioning, since in my (admittedly not overly broad) experience it is not true of a significant percentage of BTs. Their children re a different issue IMHO

-Mark Twain

#19 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Maybe its the Kiruv people (chabad and the like) who need to re-examine THEIR ways of bringing people in.....its a lot fuzzier and shinier when its being sold than what the reality really is a frum culture and lifestyle.

Maybe in America. IF you throw out all the phoniness frum is awesome!!! Probably why so many BTs live in Israel...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#20 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Maybe in America. IF you throw out all the phoniness frum is awesome!!! Probably why so many BTs live in Israel...

BTs live in Israel for the same reason they became frum: to escape.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users