• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

I need help making a personalized calendar. Instead of going through a photo website and ordering the generic calendar, I am designing it on my own and want to finish and bind it in a office max / staples place. I am doing it as a word document with a heb/eng calendar on each bottom, and a collage done through Picasa on top.

So first of all, anyone have any idea what type of paper to print it on? What type of paper should be on either ends to keep it together? Will these places be able to make that little hole for the calendar to hang on. Anyone have experience or knowledge that one printing place is better than the rest in terms of expertise, patience, ability to advise, etc.

Any other ideas or tips?

Thanks.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#2 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

Cardstock I guess is the easiest to use for the covers. You can have it bound with that spiral looping thing at those type of stores. Not sure about the hole, but you can easily make one yourself (albeit a bit larger) with a hole puncher.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#3 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

You can even upload it online at office max to be bound, might be worth uploading something and playing around to see your options before you design. They should have card stock and plasticy papers for covers.
I'd recommend using cardstock/heaver paper for everything because you dont want to see the pictures though the back. Also I'd recommend laying it out in MS publisher rather than word because this way when its time to print they will know to print on "backs" rather than just single sheets- you need the pictures facing the calendar.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#4 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the tips! Thats a good idea to use publisher. Pics and stuff go easier there. I am concerned about the back to back pages an how it would come out. I guess I can go in there and feel and see the quality of paper they have. They have an option of a clear plastic cover which i think make sense.

Thanks guys.
God, grant us the...

#5 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I think you'll be MUCH happier using publisher-I've had to lay things out using Word at work and it always drove me crazy. Publisher should have some calender templates and that should help big time. And you can set up facing pages etc. I always find with word I add one thing and the whole page gets messed up, Adding the hebrew in publisher will be so much easier.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#6 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

I think you'll be MUCH happier using publisher-I've had to lay things out using Word at work and it always drove me crazy. Publisher should have some calender templates and that should help big time. And you can set up facing pages etc. I always find with word I add one thing and the whole page gets messed up, Adding the hebrew in publisher will be so much easier.

Right the adding pics in word just freaks me out. I'll look into publisher but I want to import my own calendar that I downloaded.
God, grant us the...

#7 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

K, Publisher was a great idea Nechama, thanks. No funny things jumping out of place when new things were inserted and very easy to copy and paste pics on the left page and calendar on the right one. I set it up booklet style. Now I have to figure out what to do next in terms of uploading and making sure it gets printed and bound properly. I guess I can always go in and show them if its not easy to figure out next step.
God, grant us the...

#8 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

OK i'm just about finished and stuck....and the guy at OfficeMax didn't seem like he knew the answer either.

Basically there seems to be no option to have a 'top to bottom' booklet in Publsher, only a 'right to left'. Which means it would be like a book but I want it to be a calendar.

Any tips?
God, grant us the...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users