93 replies to this topic

#61 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Nondescript = perfect? If you're a spy, maybe. :p

I don't want to be judged by my choice of avatar, but by my posts. So if my avatar does nothing more than identify me, it's perfect.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#62 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:12 PM

I don't want to be judged by my choice of avatar, but by my posts. So if my avatar does nothing more than identify me, it's perfect.

Gotcha.

#63 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

I have heard from at least one person that they respond more to members who have hot photos as their avatars.
Xi is intimidating, in an endearing sort of way. --Gretchen

#64 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

I have heard from at least one person that they respond more to members who have hot photos as their avatars.

Works for me.

#65 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

If I recall correctly, the Zionist colors come from the techeiles, but I never ever heard about Zionism WRT techeiles debate. AIUI its mostly about unwillingness to change (except in the face of overwhelming evidence).

What does my avatar say about me?
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#66 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Dunno, but it's awesome. :)

#67 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

<-- I certainly hope people do not think my head is is that large in real life. But in all seriousness, I change my avatar whenever my disappears for whatever random reason (I noticed last week I only had a "this is broken" sort of x so I found a new place to make something. It is a little representational me that bears only the most passing similarity (We both cover our hair and wear glasses and earings) but works well enough for me. I don't really notice other people's. I will be half way through an interesting post and need to go back to the top to check the screenname as I never really notice those either. I know many people by tone, but not by "name" or "face" unless I know them in real life or on FB.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#68 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Dunno, but it's awesome. :)

Why thank you! :)
So I shouldn't change it then? Cuz it was in the plans....
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

- Snag

#69 Xi

Xi

-->

• Banned
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Why thank you! :)
So I shouldn't change it then? Cuz it was in the plans....

What's the new one?

#70 Nooch

Nooch

Dark Lord of The Sith

• Members
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

What's the new one?

Pashkivil hechsher?

pashkivil hechsher.jpg

Attached Files

My dental supply website: Visit My Website! Updated weekly!
My dental supply website blog: Visit My Website's Blog! Updated weekly!

"What we do in life, echos in eternity"
--------------
"You underestimate the power of the dark side!"-Lord Vader
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"-Lord Vader
To the Mods: "Dont be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed..."-Lord Vader

#71 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Pashkivil hechsher?

Not a bad idea....

Xi, I'm not sure, otherwise I would have changed already. I've been on the lookout for a while now.

- Snag

#72 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#73 Guest_Indigo_*

Guest_Indigo_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

#74 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

What does my avatar say about me?

To me it looks serious and determined. Like it's not immediately obvious that it's a dunce sitting in a corner, it seems more like an immovable statue of a person.

To reconcile, the Satmar Rebbe says the gemara at the end of brachot sats the color of the sky changed after the churban. Additionally that helps explain the position of the ARI that we dont have (the same) obligation of techeilet post churban: techeilet should remind us of the color of the sky. Since the color of the sky changed after the churban there isnt much point in wearing techeilit.

No way. So the sky wasn't always blue? Seriously? And somehow nobody else in the world at the time thought to mention that the sky changed colors?

#75 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

Rashi to "ptil techeilit " in the third parsha of shma says is the color of the sky at night. Ie black

doesn't he say k'shemashchir lifnos erev, or something like that, implying that it's more of a dark blue/purple?
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#76 Guest_Indigo_*

Guest_Indigo_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

#77 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

Ok dark purple. But a nighttime sky as opposed to a daytime sky. Purple, midnight blue... Something dark. Tichla.

Hence one of the excuses for black stripes on talliyot.

(null)

yep. although i've heard that they were originally blue but were changed to black as a zecher lachurban. (interestingly, the mb notes that the stripes on ashkenazi taliyot "k'ein hat'cheiles" are not excluded by the minhag to have the tallis be the same color as the strings...)

-Mark Twain

#78 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Ok dark purple. But a nighttime sky as opposed to a daytime sky. Purple, midnight blue... Something dark. Tichla.

Hence one of the excuses for black stripes on talliyot.

(null)

I'm told that for this reason one group of chasidim (I forget which) actually have dark blue stripes, not black....

- Snag

#79 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#80 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I change my avatar every so often. But I always stick with a music theme. Must be because my name is Henchy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users