• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

I decided to use my Chanukah break sorting through all the closets and drawers in my house today. It took me about 4 hours. After the whole to do, I ended up with 3 large garbage bags of clothing to donate and 1 large garbage bag of clothing to throw away. I also organized everything that I was keeping in a systematic and useful way, whereas things were all over the place before. Keep in mind, I'm a clothing hogger. I had to throw out clothing that I had saved from 1999 that hasn't fit in the last 10 years, as well as many my clothing keepsakes were hard for me to part with (my shredded high school sweatshirt, camp t-shirts, etc.). It was very difficult, but very cathartic as well.

I think that weeding out clothing and letting go of items that you want to hold on but know you shouldn't (clothing that is too small that you keep in the hope that it will fit one day, when you know that it won't, items that are hard to part with but are just taking up space and dust when others in need can use them) can be very psychologically healthy. I've been procrastinating this huge job for over 8 years, and it just kept on piling up. It was very stressful for me, but I'm so happy that I finally did it.

How often to do a full closet and drawer evaluation? Once in 10 years is enough for me. That is, if I always have the space that I have had to keep all this garbage lying around for such an extended amount of time.

#2 Guest_Shuli_*

Guest_Shuli_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

Every time I move (which is often).

#3 jewess

jewess

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

Twice a year. When I switch from winter to summer clothes and vice versa.
A good rule of thumb is that if you didnt wear it the whole season you can get rid of it. (barring pregnancy or whatever)
Also to avoid clutter I try to get rid of an article of clothing/shoe when I purchase a new one.

#4 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

It took me about 4 hours.

That's it??
I tend to use erev pesach to empty and sort my closet. I agree it feels great to let go of things you don't need to be hanging on to. I'm a beleiver in minimalism. I've been trying to push myself to start a room-by-room clear out in my apartment since around succos time but i need more motivation to get started and ideally someone to keep me company while i do it...
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#5 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

Probably once a year. I have to be in a mood to let go of stuff. Its hard to let go sometimes, especially with more expensive clothing. I still have clothing I bought for my sheva brachos- I should have given it away 5 years ago but didn't. I know that suit will probably never fit again, and even if it did its not in style anymore. But I have a matching hat, and so I just cant let go.
I have an easier time tossing t shirts and socks. Shabbos clothing and skirts just get shuffled to a spot further back in the closet.
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#6 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

I do this very very often and am always tossing things (on a weekly basis). I am not a hoarder and I don't save things because of sentimental value, etc.
Posted Image

#7 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

I don't sort very often. I should.

This morning I tossed long underwear from high school. Older than most of the folks here.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#8 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

about twice a year. I love cleaning out my closet.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users