• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Judge Judy would have done it quicker. Is she in NY?

No, she's in LA. She and another judge, I think Judge Joe Brown, or something sent me a letter, but I declined. There's also a real benefit to doing on TV because a) they fly you and all witness to LA for free b) if you win, they guarantee payment (as opposed to not TV court, where you might have trouble collecting).

#22 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

No, she's in LA. She and another judge, I think Judge Joe Brown, or something sent me a letter, but I declined. There's also a real benefit to doing on TV because a) they fly you and all witness to LA for free b) if you win, they guarantee payment (as opposed to not TV court, where you might have trouble collecting).

I should totally have done that. I didn't think of that at the time.

It's been two years and so far I collected about half what I was owed.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#23 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

How did they find you to ask you to be on the show?
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#24 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

They probably get a listing of court records. It's all public record.

#25 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

How did they find you to ask you to be on the show?

They probably get a listing of court records. It's all public record.

What he said.

It's been two years and so far I collected about half what I was owed.

How did you collect what you did? And who were you suing again? Did the person just happily hand over the money? I forgot to ask the arbitrator to question the defendant on his assets, so that I can collect if I win. I think I'm going to have to call a sheriff or something.

#26 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

How did you collect what you did? And who were you suing again? Did the person just happily hand over the money? I forgot to ask the arbitrator to question the defendant on his assets, so that I can collect if I win. I think I'm going to have to call a sheriff or something.

He's a crooked chasid (there was an article in the papers about him being one of the slum lords who accepted rent payments when the apartment buildings had already been foreclosed on and let the residents be evicted). He rear ended my car in 2007 with no insurance. My car wasn't worth much (I was driving a '94 Corolla at the time) but he totaled it and I wanted him to pay what it was worth plus towing costs directly related to the collision. He agreed to a $150 a month payment plan and was sending money orders once a month but then called me and said he didn't have the money and was struggling to feed his children. So I told him okay, resume paying in six months. He never did. I tried to track down his assets, garnish his wages - collect in those ways but he works off the books and hides his assets with various dummy corporations and such. I did get his driver's license suspended though for non payment of an auto collision related debt so at least there's that.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

#27 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

That sounds horrible.

Still waiting for judgment to arrive. I really hope I win this one...

#28 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

I WON!!! :yahoo:

I was awarded even more money than I had sued for, including money for a surgery estimate that she never ended up having. YAY!

#29 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Yay!!! Thats super news!!!

I'm so glad for you CS! Now what happens? Is the other party expected to pay up?

Thanks for updating!
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#30 Jeanette

Jeanette

Pretentious

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Great story! Thanks for sharing all the details. It was good for a few laughs.

#31 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Is the other party expected to pay up?

Defnitely. In the notice of judgment that we both received, it lists all the information for the judgment debtor (him), that includes information that failure to pay may result in: garnishment of wages and bank accounts, penalty equal to three times the amount of the unsatisfied judgment plus attorney's fees. I also got info for the county sheriff (just like TV, right?) - which was pretty cool. Never knew that Queens had a sheriff! I can also call a private marshal to collect. I can also issue a restraining order, as well as subpoena for his financial records. He has no idea what he's getting himself into by starting up with me... poor guy. If he knows what's best for him, he'll pay up ASAP and walk away with his tail between his legs (no pun intended).

But, like Brianna said - some people don't pay up. Those are usually people who don't have actual assets though. This guy clearly owns his house as well as multiple cars. If need be, I'll ask the sheriff to seize his car, break it up into little pieces, and give me a piece worth my judgment amount. Now, that would be fun.

I'm getting ready for war. :aggressive:

#32 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

You can become a Sheriff if you want to. In NYC it's not like the West, in NY they are mostly a civil law enforcement. But you can carry a gun and wear a uniform.

#33 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Just goes to show agressive dogs are not suitable as pets. It should in fact be illegal to own certain breeds just like it's illegal to own a lion or other exotic pets.
This guy is lucky his dog didn't attack a human where he may have been subject to criminal charges.

#34 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

nice. :) glad you won.

I think i had some friends who used to spend their days off sitting in court rooms for entertainment. Never done it myself but sounds interesting.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#35 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Just goes to show agressive dogs are not suitable as pets. It should in fact be illegal to own certain breeds just like it's illegal to own a lion or other exotic pets.
This guy is lucky his dog didn't attack a human where he may have been subject to criminal charges.

You don't know what you're talking about. Large dogs are not more aggressive than small dogs - it's just that larger dogs can do much more damage when they are aggressive and not properly trained. Exotic pets are not domesticated and should not be kept as pets. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and all breeds are suitable as pets. However people who are not prepared to properly train a dog and keep it in the house or fenced in when appropriate should not have a dog.

#36 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

You don't know what you're talking about. Large dogs are not more aggressive than small dogs - it's just that larger dogs can do much more damage when they are aggressive and not properly trained. Exotic pets are not domesticated and should not be kept as pets. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and all breeds are suitable as pets. However people who are not prepared to properly train a dog and keep it in the house or fenced in when appropriate should not have a dog.

Where did I mention the size of the dog? If they need to be trained to the extent that they will hurt a human or another dog if they are not properly trained they are not suitable for living with people. Since dogs aren't guns you can't really do a background check to find out who is responsible enough to train their violent dog. Let's see your cridentials in the field before you start making blanket obnoxious statements that I "have no idea" what I'm talking about.

#37 Arizona

Arizona

Checking IDs

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

"But it's a dry heat."

#38 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Will you now get your dog the surgery since you have the money?

Probably not. As I explained to the arbitrator, she's doing much better and seems healed, but I haven't been back to the vet since then, so I don't know 100% whether she'll need it or no. I'm assuming not, which adds a lot more money than what I laid out for expenses.

He still hasn't made an effort to pay up. My husband is getting super excited about all the hell he's doing to get to raise after 30 days by calling a sheriff.

#39 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

Where did I mention the size of the dog? If they need to be trained to the extent that they will hurt a human or another dog if they are not properly trained they are not suitable for living with people. Since dogs aren't guns you can't really do a background check to find out who is responsible enough to train their violent dog. Let's see your cridentials in the field before you start making blanket obnoxious statements that I "have no idea" what I'm talking about.

You mentioned that certain breeds should be illegal to own. Was I wrong that you were thinking more pit-bull than pomeranian?

Dogs have been the beloved companions of humans for thousands of years. Comparing them to guns is offensive as is your statement that there should be a blanket ban on certain breeds that could potentially be dangerous if trained improperly or abused.

#40 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

He's a crooked chasid (there was an article in the papers about him being one of the slum lords who accepted rent payments when the apartment buildings had already been foreclosed on and let the residents be evicted). He rear ended my car in 2007 with no insurance. My car wasn't worth much (I was driving a '94 Corolla at the time) but he totaled it and I wanted him to pay what it was worth plus towing costs directly related to the collision. He agreed to a $150 a month payment plan and was sending money orders once a month but then called me and said he didn't have the money and was struggling to feed his children. So I told him okay, resume paying in six months. He never did. I tried to track down his assets, garnish his wages - collect in those ways but he works off the books and hides his assets with various dummy corporations and such. I did get his driver's license suspended though for non payment of an auto collision related debt so at least there's that.

You could always put a lien on his home, so he couldn't sell it without paying you first.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users