Advice for Small Claims Court

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

You mentioned that certain breeds should be illegal to own. Was I wrong that you were thinking more pit-bull than pomeranian? Dogs have been the beloved companions of humans for thousands of years. Comparing them to guns is offensive as is your statement that there should be a blanket ban on certain breeds that could potentially be dangerous if trained improperly or abused.

I don't see it as offensive. Yes, pitbulls should be illegal to own. How is it any different than owning a lion, which is illegal?

#42 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

I don't see it as offensive. Yes, pitbulls should be illegal to own. How is it any different than owning a lion, which is illegal?

Lions aren't illegal in NY. Squirrels as pets are, however.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#43 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

You could always put a lien on his home, so he couldn't sell it without paying you first.

He rents.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#44 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

You could always put a lien on his home, so he couldn't sell it without paying you first.

Can you let me know how I could go about doing this, if he doesn't pay me in the next 25 days or so.

#45 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Can you let me know how I could go about doing this, if he doesn't pay me in the next 25 days or so.

You go to your county courthouse and present the judgement to the clerk. They keep it on file.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

#46 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

He rents.

You're one smart cookie.

#47 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

You're one smart cookie.

Why thank you.

#48 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Lions aren't illegal in NY. Squirrels as pets are, however.

It's definitely illegal to own a pet lion in New York.

http://www.nyc.gov/a...9F-96DAE110FEB8

The City accepts reports of people selling or keeping wild or illegal animals and issues violations when appropriate. By law, wild or illegal animals may not be sold or kept as pets.

The following animals may not be kept as pets:
  • Wolf, fox, coyote, hyena, dingo, jackal, other undomesticated dogs
  • Lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, puma, panther, mountain lion, cheetah, cougar, bobcat, lynx, other undomesticated cats
  • Ferret, weasel, mink, badger, wolverine, skunk, mongoose
  • Squirrel, raccoon, bat
  • Bear, elephant, zebra, rhinoceros, giraffe, hippopotamus
  • Tarantula, black widow, other venomous spiders
  • Iguana, gila monster, many other lizards
  • Monkey, ape, chimpanzee, gorilla
  • Viper, cobra, python, anaconda, many other snakes
  • Alligator, crocodile, snapping turtle, other turtles less than 4 inches in length
  • Eagle, hawk, falcon, owl, vulture, emu, ostrich, other large or predatory birds
  • Rooster, duck, goose, turkey
  • Bee (other than a honeybee), hornet, wasp, other venomous insects
  • Gopher, woodchuck, beaver, hedgehog, porcupine, other large rodents
  • Deer, antelope, llama, camel
  • Sheep, goat, pigs, and most farm animals
  • Kangaroo, opossum, koala, other marsupials
  • Dolphin, whale, seal, sea lion, walrus, other sea mammals

#49 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

It's definitely illegal to own a pet lion in New York.

http://www.nyc.gov/a...9F-96DAE110FEB8

The City accepts reports of people selling or keeping wild or illegal animals and issues violations when appropriate. By law, wild or illegal animals may not be sold or kept as pets.

The following animals may not be kept as pets:

• Wolf, fox, coyote, hyena, dingo, jackal, other undomesticated dogs
  • Lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, puma, panther, mountain lion, cheetah, cougar, bobcat, lynx, other undomesticated cats
  • Ferret, weasel, mink, badger, wolverine, skunk, mongoose
  • Squirrel, raccoon, bat
  • Bear, elephant, zebra, rhinoceros, giraffe, hippopotamus
  • Tarantula, black widow, other venomous spiders
  • Iguana, gila monster, many other lizards
  • Monkey, ape, chimpanzee, gorilla
  • Viper, cobra, python, anaconda, many other snakes
  • Alligator, crocodile, snapping turtle, other turtles less than 4 inches in length
  • Eagle, hawk, falcon, owl, vulture, emu, ostrich, other large or predatory birds
  • Rooster, duck, goose, turkey
  • Bee (other than a honeybee), hornet, wasp, other venomous insects
  • Gopher, woodchuck, beaver, hedgehog, porcupine, other large rodents
  • Deer, antelope, llama, camel
  • Sheep, goat, pigs, and most farm animals
  • Kangaroo, opossum, koala, other marsupials
  • Dolphin, whale, seal, sea lion, walrus, other sea mammals

New York city. In the state of New York you can have anything as a pet, as long as it is not a natural inhabitant of the aforementioned state.

Notice how I didn't say city. I said NY. NY=/=NYC despite what insufferable city dwellers think .

#50 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

You go to your county courthouse and present the judgement to the clerk. They keep it on file.

Don't they have it on file already at the court house?

#51 brianna

brianna

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Don't they have it on file already at the court house?

Yes, the court house where you received the judgement, not the county courthouse.

#52 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

In the state of New York you can have anything as a pet, as long as it is not a natural inhabitant of the aforementioned state.

That's incorrect.

http://www.dec.ny.go...mits/25009.html

No person may possess, release, transport, import or export, or cause to be released, transported, imported, or exported, any of the following live wildlife:
  • All subspecies of the lion, (Panthera leo)
  • The raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonides)
  • Any Wolf/Dog hybrid
  • Any animal, whose overall appearance makes it difficult, or impossible to distinguish from a wolf (Canis lupis), or a coyote (Canis latrans).
These animals present a danger to the health and welfare of the people of New York State, and its indigenous wildlife populations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users