Photo

Why would someone get an ipad over an iphone?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I am looking at getting a new computer. I am not sure if I want an ipad, a different (say android) tablet, or just a new laptop (on her OT's advice).

I have an iphone. Other than doing everything bigger, is there anything an ipad can do that my iphone 4 can't? O know there are a few apps and whatnot only for ipad, and I know the keyboard is easier to use etc, but in general, if I have my phone is getting an ipad worth the money?
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#2 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

The shtick is that everything is bigger so easier to read books, look at movies, photos etc.

Personally I bought an iPad 1 and I hardly use it. I prefer to get a large clear screened phone than a big tablet. In the beginning I didn't go anywhere without my iPad, now I hardly ever take it out. I just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, it has a fab screen, I can't see what I would want an iPad for to be honest. But everyone is different.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#3 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Hmmm... would you be interested in selling it? Basically I am interested in the bigger screen for typing and watching movies. That is about it. An older one would suit my needs as well as a newer one.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.

Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box

#4 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Probably not. Sorry. I like to have it for when it does have its uses.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#5 Shemmy

Shemmy

Orthodox Ethiopian Hebrew

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hmmm... would you be interested in selling it? Basically I am interested in the bigger screen for typing and watching movies. That is about it. An older one would suit my needs as well as a newer one.

If you're looking at getting an iPad simply for media consumption, a less expensive Android tablet, or even something like the Nook Tab or Kindle Fire may be a better purcahse than an iPad, especially if you already have an iPhone and there aren't any "must have" apps that require the larger device.

Israelite by birth, Hebrew by adoption, Jewish by conversion

Hagebbir Shemaria Israel bar Abraham de Israel

#6 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

ok, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you upgraded it to something else. My reading comprehension skills are not great late at night.

If you're looking at getting an iPad simply for media consumption, a less expensive Android tablet, or even something like the Nook Tab or Kindle Fire may be a better purcahse than an iPad, especially if you already have an iPhone and there aren't any "must have" apps that require the larger device.

Any particular reccomendations? I am in no rush so I have time to look around and do my homework before I buy.

#7 Shemmy

Shemmy

Orthodox Ethiopian Hebrew

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Any particular reccomendations? I am in no rush so I have time to look around and do my homework before I buy.

I think it depends on how much content you purchase vs what you look for on the web or other sources. If you purcahse a lot or like subscription-based services, the Kindle Fire is a good choice, since you have access to Amazon's massive library of books, periodicals, movies, music, etc. I believe (but am not certain) that there are perks for Amazon Prime members. The Kindle Fire is limited to 8GB of storage, which isn't a lot when it comes to media, but you have virtually unlimited storage space on Amazon's cloud. The Nook Tablet only links with Barnes & Nobles' book store, but is more flexible when it comes to memory. You'd have to get your media from another source, though - either streaming from the web or sideloading media from your computer. As much as I may like other Android tablets, I think the price point doesn't make sense.

Israelite by birth, Hebrew by adoption, Jewish by conversion

Hagebbir Shemaria Israel bar Abraham de Israel

#8 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#9 Awesome!

Awesome!

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

Love love love my ipad. I like the fact that we have an extra 'computer' that is so easy to take out or away with us, it is so light and portable. Mainly we only use it for media stuff, like my daughters cartoons or browsing you tube. Then again you probably dont need an Ipad in particular for that but any tablet would work. We got the ipad , cause my husband who is pretty bad tecno wise has an Iphone so it wasnt a big leap for him.

Lyric, if you have little kids its so so great. Give it to R and Y as a prezzie :eyelash: .
hieb oif danne hentelech tsim taten in himel........

#10 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

ok, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you upgraded it to something else. My reading comprehension skills are not great late at night.

If I do upgrade it I will sell it to you, if you haven't already got something else.

Lyric, if you have little kids its so so great. Give it to R and Y as a prezzie :eyelash: .

I wouldn't give it away unless I upgraded. I do like it for when it's useful ...wouldn't like to be without one altogether. Maybe the iPad2, or even 3 when it comes out. the 1 is quite bulky. And no camera.

#11 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

new plan. galaxy plus keyboard. Thoughts? Would it function like a basic computer? I am looking at the 16 gig one most likely. I will move all my 100 gigs of music to my husbands computer or to another we have lying around. I keep about 5 gigs at a time on my phone (I mean, during the rest of my life when I can listen to music). Has anyone tried to sync an iphone to an android tablet? Can it be done?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users