Florida

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

We're thinking of going to florida for a few days. ANyonce been there, advice & recommendations needed. Thanks.

#2 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

It's hard to see the entire state in a few days.

Is there a particular activity you would like to do while you're there? Amusement parks? Nightlife? Antiquities? Sports?

#3 Shemmy

Shemmy

Orthodox Ethiopian Hebrew

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

Sra. Shemmy and I live in south FL. Which part of the state were you planning on visiting? We could probably give you some ideas of things to do and places to eat if it's anywhere south of W. Palm Beach.

Israelite by birth, Hebrew by adoption, Jewish by conversion

Hagebbir Shemaria Israel bar Abraham de Israel

#4 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

Sra. Shemmy and I live in south FL. Which part of the state were you planning on visiting? We could probably give you some ideas of things to do and places to eat if it's anywhere south of W. Palm Beach.

Where is the best place in south Florida to enjoy snow skiing and mountain scenery?

#5 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

we loved our Miami Beach trip. Got lots of good advice here.

Where are you guys living?

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#6 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

I live in Florida. Disney land is a waste of money... Bush Gardens is probably the best theme park. Beaches are the main attraction which just about anywhere in the state you aren't far from a great beach. Also fishing, boating etc.

Most beautiful part of Florida is probably Naples on the SouthWest tip. It's mostly rich people (along with the private islands and such).

Bush Gardens in Tampa best theme park imo. After a day there, then hit the beaches and tourist traps.

#7 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I live in Florida. Disney land is a waste of money...

Disneyland is in California.

Florida has Disney World, which is great fun for little kids, not as much fun for adults. Epcot or Sea World would be more interesting for adults.

In south Florida, Zoo Miami or the Seaquarium.

Beaches are the main attraction which just about anywhere in the state you aren't far from a great beach. Also fishing, boating etc.

What about attractions that are semi-unique to Florida? An air boat ride in the Everglades? Jai Lai?

#8 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

I always get those two confused. Universal studios isn't bad.

I wouldn't even bring a kid to Disney World. Everytime I have been there it was over crowded. By this I mean any given ride or attraction had a 3 hour line. To eat lunch about a 2 hour line. The rides were amusing but on the lame side. Prices were always high, services low. Every ride in the place except space mountain had a target demographic of two and three year olds.

The problem is let's say if you go to a rock concert. They have maybe 10,000 tickets and if they "sell out" you can't buy any more. Disney does not do this. They keep selling tickets even if they can't fit any more people in the park. And despite the huge crowds the attraction really isn't great. It just has been advertised and marketed as the greatest place on earth and rides on that reputation.

What I like about Bush Gardens: it has something for everybody.

It's like a zoo with a lot of animals, a safari, the best is to take the air lift ride over top of the animals. At the same time it has some of the best roller coaster (with no wait in line to speak of because of being well designed), it has unique shows and plays also if you are in the mood for that, along with interesting resteraunts and dining.

It's like no matter what mood you are in you can find something at Bush Gardens.

Unique to florida-

Silver Springs:

http://silversprings.com/

The beaches are unique. They are a lot better than a New Jersey beach for example. Unless you compare it with Hawiee or California. Fishing is also unique, considered some of the best fishing in the world.

#9 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Unique to florida-

Silver Springs:

http://silversprings.com/

Glass bottom boats are okay, but at Weeki Wachee you have mermaids. http://www.weekiwachee.com/

Or a nice place in the middle of nowhere is Bok Tower Gardens.

Or history buffs might like to visit the oldest continuously occupied European-established city and port in the United States, in St. Augustine.

#10 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

I agree that Disney is waaaay overrated, especially for kids who would just as much enjoy a local theme park. As an adult Epcot and MGM are pretty impressive but its a waste on a kid. I agree with 33998 (can I call u zipcode :) ) that it gets by on its reputation as magical and whimsical and the 'happiest place on earth'.

One thing I loved about Miami was its Kosher food selection. You don't always have that on vacation and the quantity and quality of different style restaurants were great.

Beaches are nice but nothing special. Its great to have good weather but its iffy because it rains a lot. We went to a crocodile swamp thing that was cool.

cant think of too much else.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#11 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

One thing I loved about Miami was its Kosher food selection. You don't always have that on vacation and the quantity and quality of different style restaurants were great.

:agree: there's this place called prime glatt (or something like that) near west palm beach which has great food and reasonable prices.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#12 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

It almost never rains in the winter. It rains about every day in the summer and also extremely hot. Two different seasons- rainy season and dry season.

During January the water is probably going to be too chilly to swim in, but the weather is great for just chilling along the coast line. It's actually better than the summer because its too hot and sunny in the summer.

Disney does have a redeeming virtue in that I think you can buy a pass where you can go to Disney, Universal, and Epcot. Universal I think is a good place for the whole family and more interesting than Disney as is Epcot.

There are countless good restaurants because of the fact that the local businesses are based largely on tourism. At the same time there are a lot of Jews in South Florida, but not really any Jewish food, people wearing yamakas etc. except maybe in Miami.

What beaches did you go to? There are beaches with jet ski rentals right on the beach, parasailing, live music, open bars etc. If you have money to burn on these things it should be a lot of fun. You have some very quiet beautiful beaches great for relaxing and then there are other beaches that are like a giant party. During spring break the party beaches are so packed you can't even get in.

33948- how did you guys figure this out to be a zip code? It's supposed to be a random assortment of numbers. By using zip codes its easier to remember.

#13 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

It's hard to see the entire state in a few days.

Is there a particular activity you would like to do while you're there? Amusement parks? Nightlife? Antiquities? Sports?

Amusement parks & nightlife

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users