• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Do you prefer cooking on your own with no one else around? or do you like having someone to cook with?

Also is there anything you like to do while cooking? singing? playing music? Talking on the phone?

Finally do you generally clean up as you go, or wait till after to clean?
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#2 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Do you prefer cooking on your own with no one else around? or do you like having someone to cook with?

Also is there anything you like to do while cooking? singing? playing music? Talking on the phone?

having someone else to cook with

talk radio, or talking on the phone.

depends on whether there's dead time.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#3 Gretchen

Gretchen

New and Improved

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

no one around..my kitchen is really small.

phone

Right away
COEXIST

#4 U Tarzan me Jane

U Tarzan me Jane

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

me, radio, pots. No people, especially those under 4 feet tall. Oh, and extra especially the one under 30 inches. :lol:
"Common things happen commonly, uncommon things don't. So when you hear hoofbeats, think horses , not zebras."

"Be open minded, But, not so open minded that your brains fall out!"

" I mean how do you greet moshiach if half a baby is hanging out of your hoo ha??" Bird

#5 brianna

brianna

Sanctimonious Pleasure Seeker

• Members
  • 13,655 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

I like to be alone with music playing.
Certainly there is no shortage of married, left-wing harlots who do not cover their hair. Although, they're probably busy sacrificing their children to Ba‛al and filing divorce papers. ~ Milton

"Are you including as shomer negiya someone who is sleeping with his girlfriend but not shaking hands with the car dealer?" ~ Moshi

"Some people like their corn flakes soggy, other people get off on repression and guilt." ~ Sweet

Notice of New Policy: I now ask people permission before using their quotes.

#6 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I like cooking with others, but it doesn't happen often - I guess usually erev shabbos yom tov when my husband's helping out.

Music on is good.

I usually don't clean up as I go, and I always regret it when I see the mess.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#7 mellifera

mellifera

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

I like cooking alone, but I have a little challah helper these days, who likes to make her own "baby challah," or "sister challah," or a star-shaped challah. I listen to music or the news, and clean as I go (a boon to my husband, who is tasked with the after-dinner clean up).

#8 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

I honestly hate cooking. I like the feeling when I've made lots of food and it's all done and yummy, but I hate the process. I usually cook in silence, and I try to cook in bulk, even though it's only for the two of us.

I love having someone else to cook for me. The food always tastes better when it's cooked by someone else.

I let everything pile up as I'm cooking and do a big washing after the cooking process is done (or convince my darling husband to wash two huge sinks for me - which he does agree to on a good day - he's much better at washing than I am).

#9 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#10 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:14 AM

i enjoy having company while i cook (not kids!). In practice though there is noone around besides kids while i cook. I enjoy speaking on the phone. Its enjoyable but it slows me down.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#11 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Definitely on my own. I have a very small kitchen and I hate having to dance around people. While I generally prefer music, if I can't have it on for whatever reason, it's fine. Music energizes me, though. I would rather do almost anything than talk on the phone, plus my phone doesn't have a headset so extended hands-free use kills my neck. I tend to get in Terminator mode when I cook, so anything that's a real distraction is unwelcome.

While in theory I prefer to clean as I go, practically speaking sometimes things pile up and I end up doing a big washing up at the end.
A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

#12 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

What happened to h.com?? 11 posts and not one of them with the innuendo you'd expect with a title like this. :o

I don't like cooking. I like eating, and I cook to eat. I make 2-3 different breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 3 suppers each day, so I'm pretty much cooking all day, like it or not. I also have no choice about having the kids join me, and it drives me crazy most of the time, but I'm trying to let them join in the "fun" which is a disastrous mess, but at least I don't have to deal with kvetchy kids who feel neglected while I'm cooking.

Music is almost always on. And my husband got me these dorky gigantic noice canceling wireless headphones, so I get to have my hands free and listen to blasting music even when the kids are sleeping.
Posted Image

#13 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

What happened to h.com??

isn't it obvious?
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#14 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I'm no good in the kitchen, so I need all my concentration not to completely mess everything up. That means no people, no talking on the phone, no music. And I like to put off cleaning for later because I'm lazy. But it's a good thing -- I find that stuff comes clean easier if they soak in soapy water for a couple of hours.

#15 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#16 younglady

younglady

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

By myself, with my ipod, cleaning as I work. I hate talking on the phone while I cook.
Love, commitment, and effort conquer almost all

#17 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

I like someone else doing all the peeling, chopping and cleaning up after... And especially the dishes!!!
[/flirting]

#18 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

interesting to read all the info. I also enjoy eating more than cooking :) and only really enjoy cooking when its for shabbos. definitely better without kids around, other adults are a maybe. I like listening to Jewish music when I cook for shabbos (though I rarely listen to it other times) and I generally don't clean till after its all done.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#19 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

I prefer to cook alone with music or speech on and I generally clean up as I go along.

#20 5748

Gabbai

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

If I'm in a rush (usually am during the week) it's usually me and my music. For shabbos I'm usually cooking and on the phone.
I do prefer cooking myself but don't mind people everyone once in a while, only problem is it usually takes double the time.

I must clean up as I go along or I wouldn't manage with the amount of counter space I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users