Chinese Food

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

I have to make an evening for about 15 ppl & decided to serve chinese.
Any recipe ideas, serving etc.
Thanks

#2 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

I have a bunch. Will post from my computer after. Too hard from my phone.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#3 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

Fun!

First thing, I don't think bread is usually served at a chinese meal, so you might want to keep that in mind.

egg rolls, lo mein, various chinese chicken, and of course fortune cookies for desert (you can even make your own).

Good luck and have fun!
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#4 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#5 Leah Anderson

Leah Anderson

Gabbai

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

garlic chicken with snap peas

1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
1/2 cup flour
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 lb. fresh snap peas
1 bunch scallions

directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Cut chicken into thin strips and coat in flour. Lay strips on bottom of sprayed pan.
Mix together soy sauce, oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and brown sugar. Pour mixture over strips of chicken and cover pan tightly with foil. Bake for one hour.
Add snap peas and scallions and return to oven for an additional 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.

#6 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

I now ALWAYS "velvet" chicken before I use it in stir fry or any other not coated Chinese recipes. I asked Noreen Gilitz and she said if I did not feel like splurging on sherry I could do it with apple juice. It makes a huge difference to getting the texture right. Worth googling how to do it as it really does not take very long.

Lemon chicken (this is a low carb knock off but it is incredible!)
http://kosherquick.b...on-chicken.html

How to egg drop
http://kosherquick.b...up-noodles.html

peanut sauce great on chicken, tofu or vegetables
http://kosherquick.b...anut-sauce.html

tempura
http://kosherquick.b...label/vegetable

I also do fried rice, won tons, stir fry, beef and broccoli, and a sweet noodle thing, but those recipes I just google for and adjust as needed.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.

Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box

#7 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Can you post the sweet noodles recipe, HD? You are making me drool! I usually make the sesame noodles from KBD.

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#8 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

It is basically a sesame noodle recipe with some brown sugar melted and poured in. It is mostly to taste. I use a just a couple of teaspoons mixed with just enough margarine to keep it from being crunchy, melted in the microwave, then poured into almost any sesame noodle recipe.

#9 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

peanut sauce, yum!
How do you make fried rice? Its one of my favorites but never thought to make it myself.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#10 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

So easy and I do it from leftovers!

Take plane day old cooked rice. Precook whatever meat and veggies you want in there (I use chicken, carrots, peas, sprouts, onion with some soy sauce and some sesame oil (I also sometimes add onion soup powder if I do not have time to sauté the onions for more flavor). Once they are cooked toss in the rice and coat well with the sauce ( you can add more soy sauce/oil/onion as needed).

Ads an egg or two and keep stirring.

Zehu.

For a crunchier top stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes but watch it. It burns FAST!

#11 justbatya

justbatya

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hd sounds like you really have a knack for Chinese cooking.. Must revisit this thread when I am looking for a yummy recipe!!

My poor SO still thinks that a Batya is a what, and not a who.

Soda-Club Home Soda Makers
Blog-o-rama

#12 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

I did a Chinese Purim Seuda a few years before we made aliya. We took all the central furniture out of our living room and put one of the succah boards on milk crates for a low table. Covered it with a red paper table cloth with Gold ribbons and designs drawn in gold marker and had people on pillows on the floor. It was a ton of fun.

#13 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

So easy and I do it from leftovers!

Take plane day old cooked rice. Precook whatever meat and veggies you want in there (I use chicken, carrots, peas, sprouts, onion with some soy sauce and some sesame oil (I also sometimes add onion soup powder if I do not have time to sauté the onions for more flavor). Once they are cooked toss in the rice and coat well with the sauce ( you can add more soy sauce/oil/onion as needed).

Ads an egg or two and keep stirring.

Zehu.

For a crunchier top stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes but watch it. It burns FAST!

I'm going to try this now with left over rice, thanks.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#14 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

I've cooked my way through a Chinese cookbook. The typical Chinese meal is heavy on rice and veggies, though. I wouldn't subjects guests to that - they're going to expect American Chinese type fare, like you'd get at a restaurant. Heavy on the meat and oill.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users