School Project Kosher restaur

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Deborah

Deborah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

I am a culinary student from Indianapolis I am tring to make an authentic Israeli restaurant buisness plan. Eventually I plan to open a restaurant here I need menu ideas on the food im putting on it. I was wondering if some of you can help me brainstorm. Recipes would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Image

#2 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hmmm.

Before getting to recipes, I think deciding on what types of food would be good.

Off the top of my head, I can think of pita/shwarma, falafal, shwarma, lots of salads / hummus / other dips. What else?

This menu has some good ideas you can borrow:
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#3 Deborah

Deborah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

I am wanting to build a restaurant that serves both meat and cheese not at the same time but still to keep the option available it will be more of a hassle but its the beginning of a buisness plan that i want to eventually put into motion. I have thought about falafel and some of the popular dips. I'm not wantind to make it a cafe but a full sit down dine in restaurant the community in indy doesn't have one its something i want to make possible for them. If you were to have both would you keep it on separate menus?
Posted Image

#4 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I am wanting to build a restaurant that serves both meat and cheese not at the same time but still to keep the option available it will be more of a hassle but its the beginning of a buisness plan that i want to eventually put into motion. I have thought about falafel and some of the popular dips. I'm not wantind to make it a cafe but a full sit down dine in restaurant the community in indy doesn't have one its something i want to make possible for them. If you were to have both would you keep it on separate menus?

Milk Street Cafe managed to do it for the short stint they were opened. And I believe they do it in Boston where they are stiill operating. Supposedly its pretty challenging because you'd need seperate kitchens and people who are really really on top of things in order to keep things truly seperate and Kosher. I believe everything is on one menu and like this even non-Kosher keeping people can enjoy.

I, personally would discourage this at least in the beginning. I'd encourage you to start with one, and as it hopefully grows and succeeds beyond your wildest expectations, tinker with another one. Especially if you will be doing Israeli cuisine, its not THAT important that you serve a whole lot of dairy. Unlike if you were doing Italian or even French. You could always include veggie/soy cheese and pareve milk to make normally dairy items accessible.

But again that is just my opinion. Maybe its not insurmountable.
God, grant us the...

#5 Shemmy

Shemmy

Orthodox Ethiopian Hebrew

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

I am a culinary student from Indianapolis I am tring to make an authentic Israeli restaurant buisness plan.

Israeli or Middle Eastern? There's going to be a difference there.

Israelite by birth, Hebrew by adoption, Jewish by conversion

Hagebbir Shemaria Israel bar Abraham de Israel

#6 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Cafe Rimon in Israel serves both meat and dairy.

Off the top of my head, I can think of pita/shwarma, falafal, shwarma, lots of salads / hummus / other dips. What else?

Shish kabob
Posted Image

#7 Shemmy

Shemmy

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Shish kabob

Regular (e.g. Iraqi or Iranian) kebab is better.

#8 Shemmy

Shemmy

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Moussaka, kibbe, stuffed grape leaves, kebab, jahnoun, shaqshouqa, "salateem," wat, tibs fetfet, lamb tagine, taboule... It really depends on whehter or not you want an "Israeli" menu or a Middle Eastern one.

#9 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Cafe Rimon in Israel serves both meat and dairy.

But they are officially seperate eateries, no? Village Crown, back in its glory days, had both restaurants but they were separate and had a wall in between. WE went to some kosher place in Daytona Beach that also had dairy/meat, separated by a wall. Never in the same place could you order meat and dairy.
God, grant us the...

#10 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I haven't been since seminary, but it's all the same place. If memory serves me correctly, square tables meant meat and round meant dairy (or vice versa). Something like that.

Chicago has quite a few restaurants that are meat and dairy, separated by a wall, as you describe.
Posted Image

#11 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

I haven't been since seminary, but it's all the same place. If memory serves me correctly, square tables meant meat and round meant dairy (or vice versa). Something like that.

It's totally separate now.

#12 Deborah

Deborah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

I want an Israeli restaurant I was including middle eastern as a whole because people of the islam faith have simalar dietary guidelines and there is large islam communites in israel so the food probably varies with region. Hmm... mabe I will consider starting with only one or the other when it comes to dairy or meat.
Posted Image

#13 Shemmy

Shemmy

• Members
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

I want an Israeli restaurant I was including middle eastern as a whole because people of the islam faith have simalar dietary guidelines and there is large islam communites in israel so the food probably varies with region. Hmm... mabe I will consider starting with only one or the other when it comes to dairy or meat.

I asked because Israeli "cuisine" differs from other Middle Eastern cuisines by virtue of the inclusion of some Ashkenazic foods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users