• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

with all the advance in technology there are lots of fun little toys, but i'm starting to wonder at what point the classification lines get blurred.
If my mp4 has a touch screen and wifi with anderoid, does it not become a mini tablet? If most smart phones have impressive cameras then why are people still buying cameras? If my ereader has anderoid, wifi and video playing capabilities then why is it sold as an ereader and not a tablet? Further why do we even need ereaders if we have phones, cameras and mp4s in our bags already that can diplay books? What use is an ipod either? Will the near future just be one in all gadget, or even more gadgets that overlap their uses?
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#2 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

One day it'll all be a microchip implanted in our wrists at birth, and everything will be included. Just like in the movies. :)
Posted Image

#3 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

One day it'll all be a microchip implanted in our wrists at birth, and everything will be included. Just like in the movies. :)

You can walk into a music store and download a new playlist into your brain :lol: how would a camera work then?

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#4 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Another chip implanted in the eye! :o
Posted Image

#5 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I really don't think you can have an all in one. Maybe as a cute travel thing, but not to replace it. Watching a sports game on one's Ipad will never replace watching it on a big screen TV. People want small for convenience and practicality but it can't replace the enjoyment and even quality of something that is larger and less portable. I can see a point where cameras might be obsolete. But not really good digital SLRs or video cameras.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#6 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Right, but in the future as I see it, the chip in your eye will be like a projector, and you'll be able to see things in huge. :)
Posted Image

#7 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I really don't think you can have an all in one. Maybe as a cute travel thing, but not to replace it. Watching a sports game on one's Ipad will never replace watching it on a big screen TV. People want small for convenience and practicality but it can't replace the enjoyment and even quality of something that is larger and less portable. I can see a point where cameras might be obsolete. But not really good digital SLRs or video cameras.

Ok, but for the time being at least pretty much all pocket devices overlap.

Right, but in the future as I see it, the chip in your eye will be like a projector, and you'll be able to see things in huge. :)

And 3d. Basically we will be making everyone into schizophrenics.

#8 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

You know whats funny? When i think back to my childhood to some of some of the sci fi stories about the future, they are soo old school :)
Watch an episode of the jetsons. I'm sure we can beat anymost anything they have there. Besides those space shoes. Those are cool.

#9 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#10 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

GPS units are becoming obsolete already.
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#11 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

Not all the way though. There's a certain amount of overlapping. For example, an iPod vs and iPad. iPad is too clumsy to use a portable music device, or for wifi access while traveling on a bus/plane etc... Yet typing on an iPod is really no fun if you want to type a lot.

Ok but thats just a size preference. Essentially they are pretty similar with their capabilities.

GPS units are becoming obsolete already.

Most newer cars have them built in, no? Even better...

#12 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

Most newer cars? Or most newer cars that cost $$$? :)
At least in America, I don't think it's really that standard for the average car to be made with one.

(Then again, this is America. Where my mother had to add on ABS to her 2010 Chevy. Apparently, it's not standard.)
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#13 techno

techno

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Reading ebooks on tablets is fine, as long as you are indoors. The only way to read in bright sunlight is to turn the brightness up so far that the battery runs out in a couple of hours.

On the other hand a dedicated ereader has a screen you can use on low intensity in bright sunlight and the battery lasts a month.
Webmaster of a multi faith website forum encouraging informed debate between different religions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users