• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm trying to make myself feel a little better here :). The summer was pretty easy to diet and now its super hard. Here are some reasons why. Wondering if others agree or not. To go back to the 'Track your Food' thread, Here are a couple of posts: That will prove the point

Would you try ww pasta? What about cooking veggies in the sauce?

Can you work out for a bit? Walk around the block a few times.....

I find its much harder to get out either to do excersize or to go to the store in the winter. Especially with kids in tow and/or after it gets dark which are both usually the case by me. I really think very carefully before shlepping the kids into their bulky coats and going anywhere. I try my hardest to do any sort of errand directly after school while they are still in the car and its even hard then because I am so tired from a full days work. So any 'taking walks' is out and even getting to health stores and stocking up is out. I've been wanting to get to Trader Joe's forever but when I have a free second to grocery shop, I end up going to the regular Kosher supermarket where healthy stuff is less available and more expensive. Its a dumb excuse but it really is the case. In the summer I don't think twice about running in and out, even with the kids. Especially when we are low in food, of COURSE i'm just going to eat whatever is around.

I also find I crave fattening, carby comfort food much more when its cold out. When its warm, all I really nice is light salads and cold water. I don't crave as much.

With all that being said maybe I place the diet on hold until after Pesach :p
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#2 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Winter really is the worst. You're not alone, trust me. I'd be fine literally hibernating the entire season if I could get away with it.

Exercise DVDs help. I want to MURDER Jillian Michaels, but her videos are very short and I can't really make excuses for not doing it most days. Going to the mall and just walking around (with or without kids) is exercise.

Try making a point of keeping your home stocked with healthy foods. Don't wait until you're empty to go shopping, because that's when the yetzer hora kicks in. It obviously depends on your budget, but if you can buy in bulk (nonperishable healthy stuff), that helps a ton. Keep a list on your fridge, and when you're running low on something (but far from empty), write it down.
Posted Image

#3 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Winter really is the worst. You're not alone, trust me. I'd be fine literally hibernating the entire season if I could get away with it.

Exercise DVDs help. I want to MURDER Jillian Michaels, but her videos are very short and I can't really make excuses for not doing it most days. Going to the mall and just walking around (with or without kids) is exercise.

Try making a point of keeping your home stocked with healthy foods. Don't wait until you're empty to go shopping, because that's when the yetzer hora kicks in. It obviously depends on your budget, but if you can buy in bulk (nonperishable healthy stuff), that helps a ton. Keep a list on your fridge, and when you're running low on something (but far from empty), write it down.

I do have an elliptical at home so I really don't have an excuse to not work out. Maybe I'm just more tired in the winter? I'm glad I have a somewhat active job so i'm not literally sitting on my tush the whole day.

Good idea about bulk healthy stuff. I bought a huge box of granola bars from Costco and while not awesomely healthy, they are a better snack than lots others. We keep them in the car and the kids eat them too when they are hungry. Any other ideas?
God, grant us the...

#4 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

I have certain healthy snacks that I always keep in my house:

Apples

Bananas

Baby carrots

Almonds and Walnuts (but I only eat 5 at a time as per my diet)!

Greek yogurt (Chobani or Phage) - 0% fat only, that I make into shakes in my blender using a serving of yogurt, a teaspoon of almond butter, and a serving of fruit (either bananas, frozen blueberries, strawberries, etc.). It's a great high protein snack that also tastes creamy and yummy even though the yogurt is actually nonfat. If you want it to be sweet, you can put some stevia, agave syrup, or even some honey or natural/brown sugar in it. It will still be a healthy snack.

Lowfat cheese

#5 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have certain healthy snacks that I always keep in my house:

Apples

Bananas

Baby carrots

Almonds and Walnuts (but I only eat 5 at a time as per my diet)!

Greek yogurt (Chobani or Phage) - 0% fat only, that I make into shakes in my blender using a serving of yogurt, a teaspoon of almond butter, and a serving of fruit (either bananas, frozen blueberries, strawberries, etc.). It's a great high protein snack that also tastes creamy and yummy even though the yogurt is actually nonfat. If you want it to be sweet, you can put some stevia, agave syrup, or even some honey or natural/brown sugar in it. It will still be a healthy snack.

Lowfat cheese

Thanks for the ideas. I feel like fruit and baby carrots get inhaled here but maybe I should buy more. I'm very the 'shop for the week' girl, especially with fruit and veggies but obviously its not lasting long enough so I should get more. I was never a huge fan of yogurt but maybe I should try again. Nuts are so fattening! I know they are good and healthy but the calorie amount is a lot and I'd totally overdo it.
God, grant us the...

#6 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Bananas

I realized recently just how unhealthy bananas really are. They are high in calories, carbs, and full of sugar. I think it's a mistake when people assume that just because it's a "fruit," it's healthy.

#7 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

I realized recently just how unhealthy bananas really are. They are high in calories, carbs, and full of sugar. I think it's a mistake when people assume that just because it's a "fruit," it's healthy.

I'm glad to hear this. I dont like bananas :)
God, grant us the...

#8 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

I don't know. Bananas have 90-100 calories, not much more than an apple They fill you up (at least me) and have vitamins. Yes they have sugar, but it's natural sugar, the healthy kind that the body processes well.

#9 lyric

lyric

grannylicious

• Members
  • 7,872 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

A handful of nuts and raisins is much better than chocolate, cake or cookies.
Seen on News Billboard: Osama bin Laden is dead. What Kate was wearing when she heard the news...

#10 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Absolutely. Nuts in particular are caloric but at least are healthy. Everything in moderation.

By the way, I think chocolate is a better choice than cake or cookies. At least dark chocolate has anti-oxidants and less fat than milk chocolate. And while chocolate of course has sugar in it, cake and cookies have more carbs with all that white flour.

#11 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thats not usually my choice of snack.
God, grant us the...

#12 smishu

smishu

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Its absolutely true, I think everyone feels like hibernating in the winter. It definitely helps to have warm drinks and exercise options at home.

#13 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

I don't think it's hard to exercise in the winter. You hae to make it part of your schedule. LTL, get a sitter or join a gym with babysitting. Think of ways to work it out.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users