Photo

The Western Wall I DIDN'T Know

western wall kotel jerusalem temple mount beis hamikdas the second temple the western wall

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tznef

tznef

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Just stumblled upon a great video that I thought you guys would find interesting.. Honestly, how many of these facts did you know? Reply with an answer if you dare.. :-)

#2 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

It didn't work :(.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#3 tznef

tznef

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Really? It works for me. It's a Youtube video. Maybe you have it blocked?

#4 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

works now, not sure what happened last time. i want to rewatch later when i have more time to see what i knew and didn't know.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#5 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

I knew all of these except for like three or four of them.

#6 tznef

tznef

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

I knew all of these except for like three or four of them.

WOW! How?

#7 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

WOW! How?

By taking tours, by reading, by having classes on the history of the State of Israel. These aren't obscure facts or anything.

#8 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

I knew almost all of them except for a few parts of certain facts. Also, some of the facts are incomplete or inaccurate.
For example, it is not certain that the stone pictured is the foundation stone. Also, it is not certain where on the mount the original temple was located.
The carved names in the stones predate the custom of putting in notes.
The reason why the Western Wall is special among the remaining walls is not only because of the foundation stone. There are midrashim that say that the Western Wall is the only surviving wall. Why that is, I don't know. Maybe conspiracy theorists can have a go.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#9 tznef

tznef

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

I knew almost all of them except for a few parts of certain facts. Also, some of the facts are incomplete or inaccurate.
For example, it is not certain that the stone pictured is the foundation stone. Also, it is not certain where on the mount the original temple was located.
The carved names in the stones predate the custom of putting in notes.
The reason why the Western Wall is special among the remaining walls is not only because of the foundation stone. There are midrashim that say that the Western Wall is the only surviving wall. Why that is, I don't know. Maybe conspiracy theorists can have a go.

There will always be arguments about everything but all the experts in the field including the gdolim today say that this is the foundation stone and the location of Beit hamikdash.
The video only refers to why we pray in front of the western wall, and that is because it is the closest to the foundation stone. In the time of the Secont beit hamikdash no one prayed there although it was still special, and it was a marketplace..

#10 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

23 (I didn't know about the "street sign")
[/flirting]

#11 qgh

qgh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

There are midrashim that say that the Western Wall is the only surviving wall.

I think the midrashim are talking about the western wall of the Temple and not the western wall we are referring to which is the western wall of the Temple Mount (as mentioned in the video)

#12 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

I think the midrashim are talking about the western wall of the Temple and not the western wall we are referring to which is the western wall of the Temple Mount (as mentioned in the video)

If that's true it an interesting fact. Is the part that remained then still standing now also?
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#13 qgh

qgh

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

If that's true it an interesting fact. Is the part that remained then still standing now also?

The western wall of the Temple may very well still exist, but archeologist are not allowed to do any work in the area in order not to upset the arabs. (The Arabs are digging instead and destroying as much as they can)

#14 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

There will always be arguments about everything but all the experts in the field including the gdolim today say that this is the foundation stone and the location of Beit hamikdash.
The video only refers to why we pray in front of the western wall, and that is because it is the closest to the foundation stone. In the time of the Secont beit hamikdash no one prayed there although it was still special, and it was a marketplace..

That post is simply not true. There are many reasons why it can't be the foundation stone, more, perhaps, than reasons why it might be.
It is much taller than the foundation stone was. The rest of Jerusalem is higher than it was - that's why all the ruins are underground. Why would this stone be taller?
It has a tunnel leading from it to the nachal kidron. There is no such tradition about the even shesiya, but there is one about the altar.
It has a building on top of it. The Zohar supposedly says that the kodesh kadashim will never be built on.
Etc.

#15 Spiffy

Spiffy

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Having been on a tunnel tour about two years ago, there weren't really any surprises. I was lucky enough to say Tfilas HaShla on erev R"C Sivan in the tunnels.
A Jew without good middos is simply incomplete...

Every age is modern to those that live in it

How do you feel when there's no sun? And how will you be when rain clouds come and pull you down again?

Mmmmm, whatcha say?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users