74 replies to this topic

#1 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hey guys,

Just want to keep you informed of some simple changes the site will be going through. Your patience and INPUT is greatly appreciated on any of these matters. I don't really use this forum to make discuss-able announcements, so please bear with me (and be polite).

1) We'll be moving the F.A.Q's forum to be a subforum under Feedback and Support. The idea is to only link to it as reference as needed.
2) Update the FAQ's to be relevant. The idea is to change expired information that no longer applies to this forum.
3) Revamp the Forum Rules. The idea is to really simplify things for new users. Right now, it's a lot to read and most people skip over it (or don't care). We won't be adding any new rules.
4) I would like to keep the Mishna and Gemara forums (maybe rename them?). The reason is that it may be relevant to an upcoming alliance H.com may be forming.
5) Hashkafah.com is working on 3 big deals right now with some large websites. These deals usually do not work out. But for myself, it's a glimpse of hope to resuscitate H.com's comatose condition.
6) I would like to do away with the Travel forum. The idea is that empty, low-count forums make the site unattractive to newbies. And even seasoned members are not making use of it. Can I dump it or merge it with another forum?
7) Close many of the forums in the mod section. The idea is to keep things tight.
8) Change my avatar to be friendly. The idea is to at LEAST have a friendly image.

These ideas (except #5) will NOT help grow the forum in any way. It's an attempt to clean up my failures and make things neater for a brighter future ahead.

A lot more in in the works I hope to use this thread to keep you informed. Please stay tuned.
Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

LIKE our page on Facebook: Hashkafah.com

#2 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

8) Change my avatar to be friendly. The idea is to at LEAST have a friendly image.

Looks like you're copying Xi.

#3 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

4) I would like to keep the Mishna and Gemara forums (maybe rename them?). The reason is that it may be relevant to an upcoming alliance H.com may be forming.

I don't see why not, in fact I don't agree with #6 at all, and think that deleting content harms the site far more than any negative affect on n00bz. Especially content such as this, that actually gives the site a POSITIVE image to someone unaffiliated, unlike some other threads...

5) Hashkafah.com is working on 3 big deals right now with some large websites. These deals usually do not work out. But for myself, it's a glimpse of hope to resuscitate H.com's comatose condition.

Which I hope will be discussed, or at least the membership be thoroughly informed before anything is done (perhaps even given input on it). Unless you want a new unprecedented wave of people deleting their posts and/or leaving the site altogether... Comatose isn't pleasant, but it's better than dead. We don't want a situation where "the operation was successful but the patient has died"...

6) I would like to do away with the Travel forum. The idea is that empty, low-count forums make the site unattractive to newbies. And even seasoned members are not making use of it. Can I dump it or merge it with another forum?

Again, I just don't get this. I really don't care if there is a travel forum or not, but if there is SOME content there, what is the big deal to just LEAVE it??? As I said above, I really don't think any n00b will come here, see tons of bustling forums, and a few poorly participated ones and think badly of the site. There really isn't clutter, and as presumably most n00bz will end up via search engines, or because of previous posts, it would seem to me, the more the better. Yes there are SOME sites (which will not be named) that have an endless amount of forums, and I agree that is not the preferred look, but I think H.com is already concise and a few more forums really won't do damage...
[/flirting]

#4 greentiger

greentiger

look here!

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

i couldn't disagree more about the travel forum. On the contrary, the more forums, the more opportunity for discussion. If i were a newbie to a site, having forums named travel, or health, would encourage me to discuss topics that i wouldn't think to bring to the board.

Also h.com is HUGE. It has loads of info. By having a very specific category its easy to find info you need. I would actually advise for more splitting not less. I know at least of imamother when i need certain info its pretty quick to find old discussions because the forums are so split up.
Treat each day as your last; one day you will be right

If a man stands in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

#5 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

Imamother is super successful and has 5 billion subforums and subsubforums (and 2.5 million private forums). Just sayin.
Posted Image

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Imamother is super successful and has 5 billion subforums and subsubforums (and 2.5 million private forums). Just sayin.

Hmmm well I guess they're NOT one of the 3 then.... :smart:
[/flirting]

#7 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

(B"H!!)
When you try to make a statement, all you're really doing is raising questions.

#8 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Can you imagine?? :lol:

How bout balaboostas?
Posted Image

#9 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hey guys,

Just want to keep you informed of some simple changes the site will be going through. Your patience and INPUT is greatly appreciated on any of these matters. I don't really use this forum to make discuss-able announcements, so please bear with me (and be polite).

1) We'll be moving the F.A.Q's forum to be a subforum under Feedback and Support. The idea is to only link to it as reference as needed.

2) Update the FAQ's to be relevant. The idea is to change expired information that no longer applies to this forum.
3) Revamp the Forum Rules. The idea is to really simplify things for new users. Right now, it's a lot to read and most people skip over it (or don't care). We won't be adding any new rules.

:)

Why rename? I'm fine with leaving them as is.

Would it change the user's experience as it currently is? Or it will remain H.com with more traffic?

IF you choose to touch it, merge it, don't dump it. But I see no reason not to leave as is.

7) Close many of the forums in the mod section. The idea is to keep things tight.

With no moderators, I don't think anyone really cares...

:)

Can you imagine?? :lol:

How bout balaboostas?

Never heard of it. Google is my friend...not sure I even want to know.

#10 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Never heard of it. Google is my friend...not sure I even want to know.

Spinoff of https://www.facebook.../thenewmommies/
Posted Image

#11 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Blah, no FB account.

#12 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

As someone cleverly said in chat, it's basically the Hashkafah of Imamother. :)

(and it's a lot more happening than frumarrieds and others like it)
Posted Image

#13 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Balaboostas can C%W(M@X.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#14 Belle

Belle

anomaly

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

I don't really care what changes you make, but if you somehow make the AC open to strangers or change the rules to allow others in without the usual requirements, I will ruin you. :)

i say that with love.
"Belle has the right of it" - Shemmy

"i have come to believe that belle is closer to the truth" - Snag

"Belle is, of course, right." - Razie

#15 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Spinoff of https://www.facebook.../thenewmommies/

coolness.

Thanx!

ETA (How did I not know about this until now?)
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#16 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Ok. I'm loving the feedback here.

So let's review to make sure I have it straight.

It's cool to keep the Mishna and Gemara forums.

Keep the travel forums.

discuss with the members the opportunities that await.

Everything else (discussed here) is fine.

#17 agent220

agent220

Mommy

• Members
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Great summary.

Basically, don't change user-driven content, and let them in the loop when it comes to major site alterations.
Stuff about FAQs/Guidelines/Your Avatar: if not major user-affecting changes, go ahead.

#18 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

OK. I'm making some the changes immediately.

Will keep you guys posted about some other ideas in the air soon. Stay tuned.

#19 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Just to go back on what was discussed before....

From the few things that I have lined up for Hashkafah.com - What would you like to know? I don't wish to keep it secret, but I'm also not interested in divulging all the details.

Please let me know?

Thank you guys!

#20 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hey Psychodad,

I had to delete your post for obvious reasons. Please be kind and refrain from foul language on this board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users