• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hoping to take a 2 or 3 day trip, close enough to NY so that we can drive (with 2 kids), and not too expensive. We've done Lancaster and might do it again (because all the kid is interested in these days is trains), but it'd be nice to try something new.

Oh, and this would be right before Pesach, if that matters.

Any ideas would be wonderful, thanks! I'm so grateful for this subforum. :) :) :)
Posted Image

#2 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

niagra? "the mts"? the shore? (beach isn't much fun in the winter, but it's twice as beautiful). or you could visit a city you haven't seen much of. philly? dc?
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#3 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the tips, they all seem like maybes. Do you have any personal experiences you can share? Like what there is to do at each place, how expensive hotels are, if it's kid-friendly...?
Posted Image

#4 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

Lancaster is great -- otherwise maybe the Poconos?

Honestly for your kids ages', just make sure the house / hotel you stay in has kiddie-friendly ameneties (indoor pool is a big plus) and that its near a kiddie museum. Not sure if you have membership to any of the NY Kids museum's but there's reciprocal membership for lots of other museums all around the US.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#5 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#6 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

There's also the boat from Long Island Sound that goes from Suffolk County (!!) to Connecticut. We wanted to do this in the summer and may do it this coming up one. If you guys like boats (not that its such awesome weather for it) its a different way to get somewhere that may be fun and different.
God, grant us the...

#7 Nechama

Nechama

Godol Hador

• Admin
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Can you do Lancaster with the crayola factory?
If I have interesting things on the walls, no one will notice how dirty the floors are - right?

#8 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks, guys! Lancaster again is definitely on the top of the list. Not sure about the Crayola factory but that's a good thought! I don't remember why we didn't do it last time, hmm...

We nearly did Newport and Boston once. Is Newport manageable with a double stroller? I know most of it is walking and it's not necessarily paved areas, right?

LTL, there are 2 ferries, and that one is wayyyy out. We'd do the Port Jeff one. It's funny because out here it's no big deal, and people just use it to commute to work. It's also NOT cheap. :(
Posted Image

#9 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

How old's 'the kid'? I enjoyed Newport Rhode Island (been there more than once actually), once before sonny graced this world and once with him. He was about 2.5 at the time of our visit. He loved seeing new things, exploring, learning and enjoyed everything we did. If you want more details/information, just ask. We also stopped at the aquarium in CT on the way to RI and he enjoyed it (though I found there was more hype about the aquarium than it actually deserves).

Which aquarium? Because the Norwalk one doesn't get much hype but it's actually a pretty awesome aquarium. Mystic Aquarium is definitely overrated.

Rhode Island is good - we did that two summers ago with the kids. Providence has a nice zoo - don't remember the name, but probably something like Providence Zoo. The kids enjoyed the cliff walk in Newport, we dipped our toes in the ocean (we were there for a short day, didn't have time to actually hit the beach, if theoretically possible) and visited one of the mansions. My kids loved it, but they were older. Toddlers would probably not appreciate the mansions much.

The Poconos are good too, there are a couple of tiny zoos like Pocono Snake and Animal Farm and a big one in Lake Ariel called Paws 'n Claws. There are a lot of outdoor activities like hayrides and pony rides, but perhaps that won't be available yet in April. There's watersports and motorboat rentals on Lake Ariel, but possibly opens in May. Some resorts have good amenities like indoor pool, etc.

Niagara Falls is not that great for younger kids. It's a veeeerrrrry long drive from NYC, and little ones might not appreciate the falls enough to make it worthwhile. Activities around the falls are mainly geared towards an older set besides for a few soft-play places in Clifton Hill. Marineland was a big hit, though pretty expensive.

Cape Cod is great, but really comes to life in the summer.

The Jersey shore can be nice for adults, and there are kid-friendly attractions near some places.
Ask a seismologist why there was a tsunami, don't ask a rabbi. - Moshi

#10 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Proud member of the "I don't always wait until I finish reading the thread to respond" club.

Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not; and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad. ~ Robert C. Savage

#11 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Thanks, guys! Lancaster again is definitely on the top of the list. Not sure about the Crayola factory but that's a good thought! I don't remember why we didn't do it last time, hmm...

We nearly did Newport and Boston once. Is Newport manageable with a double stroller? I know most of it is walking and it's not necessarily paved areas, right?

LTL, there are 2 ferries, and that one is wayyyy out. We'd do the Port Jeff one. It's funny because out here it's no big deal, and people just use it to commute to work. It's also NOT cheap. :(

I think you shouild just stick to Lancaster. It is so so little kid friendly and you know what to expect. Wait till THEY start asking for a different place if there's something that works. The crayola factory is not bad but a tad expensive for kids that may be too young to enjoy it (many exhibits there are better for older kids). But definitely a good stopping point, location wise.
God, grant us the...

#12 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

#13 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Yup. Mystic. Totally overrated. I've never been to Norwalk.

Oh, do go. It's only about an hour from NYC or Monsey. It's a smaller, cheaper, less-prestigious aquarium than Mystic, but so much better. In the summertime, there's also a ferry that departs from outside the aquarium to Sheffield Lighthouse, which is a little lighthouse located on a tiny uninhabited island on the Long Island Sound. The ferry runs every hour, iirc, and the journey takes about 40 minutes. Because the only people on the island are the people who came/went with the ferry (which is not a big one), you basically have your own private beach for an hour or two or a few.

#14 TheDuncePolice

TheDuncePolice

Knows she doesn't know

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

#15 FYI

FYI

Naive or Clueless?

• Members
  • 16,184 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Oh, do go. It's only about an hour from NYC or Monsey. It's a smaller, cheaper, less-prestigious aquarium than Mystic, but so much better. In the summertime, there's also a ferry that departs from outside the aquarium to Sheffield Lighthouse, which is a little lighthouse located on a tiny uninhabited island on the Long Island Sound. The ferry runs every hour, iirc, and the journey takes about 40 minutes. Because the only people on the island are the people who came/went with the ferry (which is not a big one), you basically have your own private beach for an hour or two or a few.

You want to become my personal trip planner?
Many people wish they could change their life, when all they really need to do is change their attitude towards life. - Sharon

#16 Short

Short

Humanistic Misanthrope

• Members
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

For reference: http://www.maritimea...um.org/home.asp - the Maritime Aquarium of Norwalk.
http://www.lighthouse.cc/sheffield/ - for info on the Sheffield Lighthouse.

#17 ThoughtCounts

ThoughtCounts

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Baltimore or Philadelphia. Perhaps the Jersey Shore.

#18 Psychodad

Psychodad

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Perhaps the Jersey Shore.

Seaside Heights? Visit Snookie?

#19 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts