• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rvn2590

rvn2590

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

A Orthodox religious couple participated in a reality TV show - and Rav Aviner calls them sinners. Rav Aviner stated that for someone to put themself out there inviting public scrunity as is apparently done with reality TV is immodest. To invite a TV camera to follow oneself throughout the day is a violation of Jewish values and halacha itself according to the Rav.
Rav Sherlo has a different viewpoint. Religious Jews as good role models in the public eye is a kiddesh HaShem.
http://www.ynetnews....4192420,00.html

http://www.ynetnews....4193139,00.html

Who is right on this issue? - Rav Aviner or Rav Sherlo.
טובה הארץ מאד מאד

Rav Tal "The evil forces of the world are the leftists who act against sanctity."

#2 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

That's a good question, but I don't think it's easy to answer, particular since I've never seen the Amazing Race. If it were Jersey Shore or something horrible like that it would be a slam dunk that it's wrong, but I don't think the Amazing Race is quite like that.

#3 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:03 PM

I thought Rav Cherlo and Rav Aviner went on reality TV and just went at.

Then I read your post.

'God's name can be sanctified through reality TV' is a great headline.

"If following the show, society has learned something positive about relationships, loyalty, health coherence and the like – that is important," he writes. "And it is important whether it’s called the sanctification of Hashem or not."

Now, I admit - if before this, you had asked me if on a given hashkafic issue, if I was more likely to agree with Rav Cherlow or Rav Aviner, I'd know that the answer would probably be Rav Cherlow. And I do indeed agree with Rav Cherlow.

Reading the article, I'm reminded of the Gemara, Yoma 86a (Quoted from http://halakhah.com/)

Abaye explained: As it was taught: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God,19
i.e., that the Name of Heaven be beloved because of you. if someone studies Scripture and Mishnah,
and attends on the disciples of the wise, is honest in business,20 and speaks pleasantly to persons,
what do people then say concerning him? ‘Happy the father who taught him Torah, happy the
teacher who taught him Torah; woe unto people who have not studied the Torah; for this man has
studied the Torah look how fine his ways are, how righteous his deeds! . Of him does Scripture say:
And He said unto me: Thou art My servant, Israel, in, whom I will be glorified.21
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users