• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Have you been to any? Which would you recommend?

Do you think it's realistic to spend $5,000 or less (all inclusive, taxes and fees) for 2 people at a decent hotel for such a program?

Please post advice here!

#2 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

No.I think Pesach is about being at home with your family.Pesach is about feeling freedom and relax.You cant feel free in a hotel when everybody is frum unfortunately.My family's seder is awesome.We cud never do that in a hotel.
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#3 LoveToLaugh

LoveToLaugh

Huh?

• Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

No.I think Pesach is about being at home with your family.Pesach is about feeling freedom and relax.You cant feel free in a hotel when everybody is frum unfortunately.My family's seder is awesome.We cud never do that in a hotel.

Yes but not everyone feels that way around family / in laws or has the option. I do think that sedarim would feel funny not with family but I realize not everyone is like that.

I'd love to try a pesach program for chol hamoed or even last days.

CS, I think $5K should be doable although add ons do really add up.
God, grant us the...
Serenity to accept things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can, and the
Wisdom to know the difference
Patience for the things that take time
Appreciation for all that we have, and
Tolerance for those with different struggles
Freedom to live beyond the limitations of our past ways, the
Ability to feel your love for us and our love for each other and the
Strength to get up and try again even when we feel it is hopeless.

#4 Survivor18

Survivor18

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've only been home for Pesach once, for me it doesn't feel like Pesach if it's not at a hotel.
If its not what you're used to it would probably feel weird to think about spending the chag at a hotel and not with family,
I personally love it and if you can afford it, it can be a really cool experience to try
"If G-d belives in me, who am I to say 'I can't?"

#5 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

I heard from a kashrush standpoint you got to be crazy to eat anything in a hotel on pesach...

Plus Rav Avigdor Miller is quoted as saying people that go to hotels for pesach (and are capable of making it at home) are "utterly disinterested in olam haba."

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#6 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

I heard from a kashrush standpoint you got to be crazy to eat anything in a hotel on pesach...

Plus Rav Avigdor Miller is quoted as saying people that go to hotels for pesach (and are capable of making it at home) are "utterly disinterested in olam haba."

Seriously?

(I don't doubt that Rabbi Miller said this, but you actually think this point is helpful for anyone here?)
Posted Image

#7 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Sorry, Rav Avigdor Miller - but that's a really judgmental, overgeneralized comment to be saying about all "people."

(I don't doubt that Rabbi Miller said this, but you actually think this point is helpful for anyone here?)

:agree: Even if this was said, posting here for someone who is asking for hotels advice is not really helpful.

#8 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:37 AM

Seriously?

Sorry, Rav Avigdor Miller - but that's a really judgmental, overgeneralized comment to be saying about all "people."

:agree: Even if this was said, posting here for someone who is asking for hotels advice is not really helpful.

His point is that people that have an opportunity and ability to earn solid olam haba points shouldn't be so quick to throw that chance away. He often spoke about how everybody should think about olam haba every day for 30 seconds.

Pinchas is right - micha

#9 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

We GET his point, Pinchas. The question is what was going through your mind when you posted this. (It's kinda like those moms who give unsolicited car seat advice and manage to throw in a liine or two to make the other mother feel like a worthless piece of poop who's not worthy of bearing children...lehavdil...)
Posted Image

#10 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Nah, only mom's do that... i probably just wanted to post something to get the board moving a little...

Pinchas is right - micha

#11 comfortingsong

comfortingsong

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Too bad we can't attribute this to your mono anymore.

#12 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Too bad we can't attribute this to your mono anymore.

Okay... how about Pesach with Mickey Mouse: http://adifferentpesachprogram.com/

Pinchas is right - micha

#13 darkgreenjeans

darkgreenjeans

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Sephardic Passover Customs and Traditions #23: Candle-lighting - Sephardic Jews usually light seven candles on the eve of each Passover Seder, and this is traditionally done by the lady of the household. The reason for seven candles is rooted in Kabbalistic opinions. According to the Kabbalah, the Passover Seder night radiates an extremely powerful light - in a spiritual sense.

http://www.bassdrive.com/v2/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users