• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

...its really getting to me lately. I come from a very ambitious over-achieving family. It makes me think about leaving Judaism, its so desparately ugly, there's no escape from worship of power. Please everyone go away and let me free: You make my life bad.

#2 rvn2590

rvn2590

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

...its really getting to me lately. I come from a very ambitious over-achieving family. It makes me think about leaving Judaism, its so desparately ugly, there's no escape from worship of power. Please everyone go away and let me free: You make my life bad.

In Judaism there is an escape from worship of power/careerism. Stand strong, strengthen yourself and stand up for what is right!
טובה הארץ מאד מאד

Rav Tal "The evil forces of the world are the leftists who act against sanctity."

#3 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Join me paganyid... join the goy side and embrace paganism

#4 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

There is always the hobo route.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#5 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

People can make their own decisions though. A family being too pushy may not be doing any good.

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Become Torah True. They view people who work as somewhere between pond scum and goyim...
[/flirting]

#7 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Whats Torah true mean? Not working?

#8 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

Ambitious and over-achieving has nothing to do with Judaism. Obviously you've never heard of the Tiger Mom.

#9 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ambitious and over-achieving has nothing to do with Judaism. Obviously you've never heard of the Tiger Mom.

My Judaism, the one I was given and the only one which makes sense to me. You can have whatever Judaism you want. You can make up a new one if you want even... I've got the one I've been given and it's not very pretty...

#10 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

My Judaism, the one I was given and the only one which makes sense to me. You can have whatever Judaism you want. You can make up a new one if you want even... I've got the one I've been given and it's not very pretty...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

#11 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Whats Torah true mean? Not working?

Your chain.

Its been yanked.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#12 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

What particularly is it about Torah that is bothering you that you don't think would bother you if you didn't have Torah?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#13 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm sorry. I have to go to a political discussion led by a leader of AIPAC. 75% of the audience is nonreligious jews, the other 25% are religious jews, including some rabbis. All of them are very adamant about israeli politics. Only 25% give a flying swandive about Torah. They are all Jewish.
So you're going to tell me these jewish people, who are congregating about a jewish cultural cause, have the wrong idea. They either shouldnt care about that jewish cultural cause or what? What are you saying? They don't know what Judaism is about? Let me remind you that none of them will be there because of the Torah, not even the rabbi... They all think they are congregating for a jewish cause. Do you think they are wrong?

#14 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

No. The Jewish People have a long a wonderful history. It's fine to do things for the Jewish People.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#15 Rentsy

Rentsy

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Look, things like Shabbat, Yom Tov, and Yom Tov Sheni some times get in the way of people's careers. They feel pressure. The only solution is to never buckle. If you have limits, and you hold yourself to them, you'll be a good, honest Jew. If you're going to sit on a small fortune instead of a large fortune because of your scruples, then you should take the Mishna in Avot 4:1 "Who is rich? One who is happy with what they have." A Jew who has principles and lives by them is very rich indeed, and should be proud of themselves!
רמב"ם הלכות תשובה פרק העשירי, הלכה ב

העובד מאהבה - עוסק בתורה ובמצוות והולך במתיבות החוכמה לא מפני דבר בעולם, לא מפני יראת הרעה ולא כדי לירש הטובה, אלא עושה האמת מפני שהוא אמת

הלכה ג

אהבה גדולה יתרה רבה עזה עד מאד, עד שתהא נפשו קשורה באהבת השם ... וכל שיר השירים משל הוא לענין זה

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users