Need jewelry advice: Atarah for tallit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BCShakarov

BCShakarov

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

So I'm planning on enhancing my Shabbat/yom tov tallit with a nice Atarah and have been looking into sterling silver. The cost is a few hundred dollars and I was ready to front the cash until I saw an option to have a nickel Atarah that has pure silver poured over and electrified to bond the metals. ( http://www.judaicasa...t.asp?P_ID=6911 )
Its almost half the price of sterling, and I do like nickel. I find sterling to be too soft and I'm not sure I'd want to clean it so often. The nickel, aside being cheaper, Is a stronger metal and has a similar look to silver but with the silver poured on it would still need cleaning.

I'd like this tallit and Atarah to last hopefully my lifetime and saving $$ would be nice along with the extra sturdiness, but sterling is more precious.

Could somene help me out?

Thanks

#2 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Unless you never wear it, a talis will NOT last a "lifetime"....
You can move the Atarah to a new talis though...
[/flirting]

#3 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Go for silver! You can't beat the real thing!

And you really don't have to polish it that often (like once every ten years). Remember you fold it inside the talis, which is then in a bag, and maybe in another plastic bag when not in use... so it's not exposed to air all that long.

But nothing looks as nice a pure silver!

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#4 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

Unless you never wear it, a talis will NOT last a "lifetime"....
You can move the Atarah to a new talis though...

They last years dude. My shabbat tallit is about 4 years old, and looks fresh out of the bag.

My weekday tallit is about a decade old. Still looks great. You just gotta dryclean them.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#5 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

You just gotta dryclean them.

At a cleaners that KNOWS how to clean talasim (otherwise they can turn yellow.)

Pinchas is right - micha

#6 Majorthinker

Majorthinker

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

There should be one here...they offer hanachot to all the avreichim and claim to be good.
על כל אחד ואחת להוסיף בתורה ובמצוות כדי להכריע את עצמו ואת כל העולם כולו לכף זכות!
'It is every Jew's duty to add in Torah and mitzvot in order to bring the geula.'

#7 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Good to know!

Pinchas is right - micha

#8 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Go for silver. The electroplating WILL wear off over time and look icky.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#9 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

this is what i got, $40 plus $20 to have it sewn on to my shabbos tallis. I like the way an atara looks, but i wouldn't spend much more than that. ~$300 for a silver one just doesn't feel right to me.
http://www.greenfiel....asp?item=20462
Posted Image
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#10 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I've always said that an atara looks like a hand grater.
Posted Image

#11 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I've always said that an atara looks like a hand grater.

dont you go and start making potato kugel on my atara!! :angry:
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#12 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

My DW bought it for me. 1000NIS. Beautiful! Hiddur mitzvah is not something to take lightly. Also, Rav Aryeh Kaplan writes just like the ring protects the wife from other men the tallis protects the man from other women so this is the equivalent of the kallah giving the chassan a ring...

Pinchas is right - micha

#13 Shaina

Shaina

Resident Phlebotomist

• Members
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

My DW bought it for me. 1000NIS. Beautiful! Hiddur mitzvah is not something to take lightly. Also, Rav Aryeh Kaplan writes just like the ring protects the wife from other men the tallis protects the man from other women so this is the equivalent of the kallah giving the chassan a ring...

Not everyone has all the money in the world "even" for hiddur mitzvah. Even if you don't take it "lightly." Your post would make me feel bad if I wanted a silver atara and couldn't afford one.
Posted Image

#14 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

Not everyone has all the money in the world "even" for hiddur mitzvah. Even if you don't take it "lightly." Your post would make me feel bad if I wanted a silver atara and couldn't afford one.

Sorry. I give anyone that doesn't have money for hiddur mitzvah a brocha that they should get the money so they can indeed afford it...

Pinchas is right - micha

#15 Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic

Gabbai

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

That doesn't make any sense.

What other women? Wait, what?

Oh wait, Ashkanazim don't wear a tallit till they get married.
Libertarian. Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.

#16 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

Oh wait, Ashkanazim don't wear a tallit till they get married.

Right. Apparently this is one reason for that minhag.

Remember tzitzis is meant to protect the eyes per the posukim in the Torah about them.

Pinchas is right - micha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users