• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

The Widzew Lodz football (soccer) club is selling anti-Semitic t-shirts. [Over 99% of the Lodz Jews were murdered by the Nazis in World War II.]

The shirts are selling well, despite the fact that there is a law against incitement to racist crimes and despite the fact that the national football organization forbids fans from wearing such shirts.

http://www.israelnat...ews.aspx/154714

#2 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

the mishna in avos says. kol harodeif achar ha kavod hakavod boreach mimenu, kol haboreach min hakavod, hakavod rodeif acharav. [my translation, forgive errors- One who chases after prominence, prominence flees from him, one who flees from prominence, prominence chases him]
there is a yiddishism called uber-chochma. uber chochma is when one reaches stupidity by trying to be more than smart- trying to be extra-smart. Extra-smart is stupid.

4 ways of responding to the above mishna.

1. I will defy the torah- I will chase after prominence, and control any and everything I can. I will assert my influence at every opportunity this is listening to atzas hayeitzer. These people are supported in their folly, and create their own downfall.
2. If I truly want to avoid prominence, I will chase after it, and thus it will flee from from me. This is called uber-chochma. Trying to outsmart the satan is rarely a fruitful endeavor.
3. Righteousness says I should run from from prominence, as that is what Hashem wants me to do. This is righteous, however it also allows for kavod to become a preoccupation, which doesn't help in the acquisition of wisdom.
4. Wisdom says, I should neither chase, nor flee from prominence, but accept it when it comes, and forget it when it passes.
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

#3 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

the mishna in avos says.

Did you post in this thread by accident? It doesn't seem related to my post.

#4 moe says

moe says

very tans

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

it was kind of just a free thought musing I indulged in, considering the various gradations of stupidity at work in the world today. how people can get caught up in absurdity to the point of putting others (or themselves) in jeopardy.
יושב בשמים ישחק השׁם ילעג למו

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users