42 replies to this topic

#41 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

English?

If you just put a disclaimer on the front, in English, next to the Kosher For Passover you will prevent a lot of people from being misguided and using this for Seder and Pesach in general. It's that easy. So why wouldn't you do it, recommend it, and even say it's arguably required under Kol Yisroel or Lifnei Iver or something, especially considering how little effort it takes and how many people it will affect? When all is said and done, if you don't put it there, people will use it for Seder. If you do put it there, many of these cases will be prevented. That's not the same impact as listing general halacha on other products where there's little reason to believe that ignorance of Halacha is why people are halachically misusing that product.

ETA: It says "Kosher for Passover" for a reason. Almost anyone who knows the halacha of egg matzoh will also recognize the Hebrew text. So why list it in English? Because they know they are also targeting a less Orthodox Jew. And by that fact, they should be a little clearer with that same English on the front.

Oh, I get it. The Hebrew text there wasn't what I would actually put on the front. It was a Biblical excerpt which is commonly used as a halachic shorthand for saying "even though it's not required, why not do a good thing".
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#42 Razie

Razie

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Oh, I get it. The Hebrew text there wasn't what I would actually put on the front. It was a Biblical excerpt which is commonly used as a halachic shorthand for saying "even though it's not required, why not do a good thing".

ok yeah - so then we mostly agree. I perhaps think it carries a higher level of responsibility than you do, but it's not much of an arguable point anymore at least as far as your argument. As long as you would generally agree with "Well, Streitz probably should put this on the front if they're aware that people are getting confused, whether they have to or not"

#43 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

ok yeah - so then we mostly agree. I perhaps think it carries a higher level of responsibility than you do, but it's not much of an arguable point anymore at least as far as your argument. As long as you would generally agree with "Well, Streitz probably should put this on the front if they're aware that people are getting confused, whether they have to or not"

Yes. I was mostly disagreeing with the indignation and sanctimony of the OP.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users