• 694 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

#2 TagMahir

TagMahir

Hocker

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Get the "Garden of Emuna" book, you'll ge the answer. (Havn't read it in a long time, soo kinda forgot myself) their are levels, but basically it is belief in G-D and His provinence.

#3 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

What does "belief" mean? Like "2+2=4"?

#4 MosheMorris

MosheMorris

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

Here is my working hypothesis...

I think the word emunah has two primary meanings (which are related). The first is loyalty and the second is affirmation. One who is ne'eman is one who is loyal, steady and consistent in their commitment to the one they are loyal to. A person who has emunah is one who is loyal regardless of the circumstances or situation - regardless of whether it is easy or hard. Being hard isn't just physically hard - it can also be emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, socially, financially, politically, etc., difficult to stay loyal to G-d. The personal of emunah sticks with G-d no matter what (by sticking with G-d, that means both positive affirmation of His existence and Hashgacha as well as a personal commitment to His laws and ways).

The source of this loyalty begins, I think, with the other meaning of emunah - which is affirmation (as in the word Amen). Very few of us come to HaKadosh Baruch Hu on our own. Usually, we have to rely on our family, friends, rabbeium and teachers to inform us about G-d and tell us about His Torah, etc. It is our job then to affirm that which we have been taught and told. By personally affirming and staying true the tradition that started with Avraham, Yithak and Yaakov we are then able to build our own personal loyalty to G-d and His Torah.

So, in short - emunah is loyalty born from affirming that which the the tradition has taught us.

Yediah - knowledge - builds off of this emunah - it's when we take the time to intellectually, personally and spiritually deepen our understanding of that which we have previously affirmed.
Moshe is the founder, researcher, writer, and all-around fix-it guy for MoreThinking.com

#5 Village

Village

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

First step - Emunah can only be talked discussed when talking about something irrational.Logic is about rational things.
The greatest sophistication is trying to figure out how not to be sophisticated - Rebbe Nachman
www.soundcloud.com/kabbalisticvillage - Please take a listen.

#6 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

A thing which you believe sits in your head? A thing which you feel sits in your heart?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users