8 replies to this topic

#1 sephardic-male

sephardic-male

Gabbai

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

these greedy feudal multi-million dollar institutions sinking to new lows

One more reason why the Consumer Financial Protection Bureauneeds to look at prepaid debit cards:
College students are finding their scarce dollars eaten up by fees on the cards, which many schools are using for student IDs and to disburse financial aid, according to a new study by U.S. Public Interest Research Group.
PIRG says information about the contracts between colleges and the financial institutions that provide the cards to students isn’t widely available, but at least one school struck a deal worth millions to the college. And it appears these deals may come at the expense of students.
Fees vary, of course, but it seems like the industry tacks on a charge for everything imaginable.
Students can end up paying a fee for: reloading money on the card, overdrafts, checking balances, closing the account, inactivity, transferring money, replacing a lost card, using an ATM and attending class. Ok, I made that last one up.

http://www.baltimore...0,4805515.story
Eurovision Thread

"If the black hats feel their beliefs will not permit them to observe the small courtesies and rituals that oil the wheels of civic life on occasions where they volunteer to interact with their fellow citizens, then let them stay in their self-wrought ghettoes and eschew public life altogether. They can't have it both ways". Barbara Kay

Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy, and a transparent system of government

#2 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have one of these cards. It's just like having a bank account anywhere else. the only drawback is the only ATM I can use (without paying fees) is at the school. Also I can only take out a max of $200 a day on that ATM. Primarily they make their money from charging fees to business owners every time you swipe your card as "credit". Conversely one may swipe it as "debit" and simply pay the fee himself.

For me it's actually easier than waiting for a check in the mail. They just direct deposit the funds. Also we can opt out of using the card and simply get checks sent. It isn't used as a student I.D. I think there is some way to load money on a student ID card and then one can swipe it to buy drinks out the machine etc. but I'm not sure what the point of doing that is.

The main draw back is there isn't a physical banking location though. So it is hard to deposit money etc. without paying fees. I consider banks to be a fraud in general and would use them only when totally necessary. It really makes a lot of sense for me to pay them to invest my money and keep all the profits from said investments :-\

#3 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

those greedy jews! :angry:
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

sorry :(

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#5 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Why does everything have to be made about anti-semitism? This forum becomes boring because no one takes any posts seriously and just considers them all to be anti-Semitic.

#6 mroof

mroof

Gabbai

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

It's essentially the same thing as having a bank account IMO: When you use things out of convenience, expect to pay the price for that convenience. I don't see why people don't pay attention to the details and fine lines of such things. By the same end: I don't know many people who are in the general college age range that care as much about their expenses going to waste.
.colorful .dreams
Posted Image
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances...if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

#7 sephardic-male

sephardic-male

Gabbai

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

you only pay fees when you use your debit card in another bank's ATM machine
Eurovision Thread

"If the black hats feel their beliefs will not permit them to observe the small courtesies and rituals that oil the wheels of civic life on occasions where they volunteer to interact with their fellow citizens, then let them stay in their self-wrought ghettoes and eschew public life altogether. They can't have it both ways". Barbara Kay

Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy, and a transparent system of government

#8 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well I'm 30 going to college. Among us poor folk we go to college at various ages.

It all depends on your salary and wages. When you work for relatively low wages, nearly every good or service is a rip off. It is more economically beneficial to forego the use of products or to do things yourself. By contrast, if your income is large then everything seems like a great deal. It's all a matter of perspective.

For example: I think minimal wage is like $7.50 now. So if I go slave away for $7.50 an hour, then take my motorcycle to get an oil change they charge like $100 an hour for that service. So I could work 10 hours to pay someone else to do it, or I could do it myself.

By contrast, Donal Trump makes $10,000 while on the crapper. For him it is a great value to pay $100 for someone else's labor.

The main problem is that these companies make huge profits, charge top dollar for services and then pay workers low wages. For example, the mechanic that I pay $100 an hour for is probably getting paid only $15 an hour himself. This creates a big drain on the economy. Wealth is siphoned up to the top, due to depressed wages. Ultimately I feel its better to not participate in such a biased economy where possible (unless on the beneficiary end of it).

#9 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

The main problem is that these companies make huge profits, charge top dollar for services and then pay workers low wages. For example, the mechanic that I pay $100 an hour for is probably getting paid only $15 an hour himself. This creates a big drain on the economy. Wealth is siphoned up to the top, due to depressed wages. Ultimately I feel its better to not participate in such a biased economy where possible (unless on the beneficiary end of it).

you pay the mechanic $100 an hour. $50 goes straight to overhead - his rent/mortgage is $5-$10,000 a month, he has to pay insurance on his workers and the place, which if he has a lift and all those other tools would be pretty darn high, his electric bill isnt pretty, and oh wait, he's gotta feed his family. lets lop off another $20 for that. $15 goes to the actual laborer, and maybe that last $15 goes to buying parts.

your making an assumption that rich, greedy corporations are rolling in the dough and keeping their workers in minimum wage slavery.
sorry to burst your bubble, but the US has one of the highest corporate tax structures in the world, and yes, a board of directors and CEO have a lot on their plate to deal with. the average worker needs to worry only about his job, the companys officers have to worry about little things like productivity, profitability, share price, investors concerns and the future. they also need to worry about meeting payroll, meeting federal regulations and avoid being audited by the IRS...
the only point i agree on is the so called golden parachute: i think its very unfair to the employees and shareholders that an exiting ceo who get fired for bad performance walks away with a multi million dollar bonus, and i think all details regarding such bonuses should be transparent and available to shareholders and investors.
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: greed, college, university

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users