A POOR HUMILIATED RABBI....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

WHO WAS A POOR HUMILIATED RABBI WHO BECAME A TALMID CHOCAM?
I was thinking about a good book that my husband could read and then respect the Rabbi.
I want to make my house more frum, and even though he has ger blood in him. I'm not intrested in the gerer rebbe's pic in my house. Therefore, I need a book about someone within the last 100 years, with a type of uplifting story so I can get my husband a connection with the picture which I will eventually put on the wall.

#2 3_monkeys

3_monkeys

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

Rabbi Akiva?

#3 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

I vote Rabbi Akiva too.. but he was a poor humiliated ignominious that became perhaps the greatest Rabbi of all time...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#4 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I was talking about more recent times. more modern day! but rabbi akiva is exactly the background i am going for.
Any modern day rabbi akivas?

#5 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

are you looking for the spiritual version of a 'rags to riches' story, or anything remotely uplifting?

Rav Dovid Leibowitz z"l built a flourishing yeshiva from nothing in the 50's, filling what he saw as a dire need to build a new generation of torah learning (yeshiva chofetz chaim).
Rabbi Shlomo Riskin built a whole chain of yeshivos, day schools and the entire city of Ephrat from willpower alone, as well as creating academies for girls education and a religious womens unit in the IDF (similar to hesder).
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#6 jamal

jamal

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

moses, abraham and that other dude who was a slave in jail in egypt but became king.

#7 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I was talking about more recent times. more modern day! but rabbi akiva is exactly the background i am going for.
Any modern day rabbi akivas?

R Rietti left drama school in England to go to Yeshiva.
R Yaakov Asher Sinclair (Ohr Somayach, Jerusalem) was a big time music producer, became frum and us now a rebbi.
That the kind of thing you are looking for, or specifically "poor, humiliated"?
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#8 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

I was thinking about a good book that my husband could read and then respect the Rabbi.
I want to make my house more frum, and even though he has ger blood in him. I'm not intrested in the gerer rebbe's pic in my house. Therefore, I need a book about someone within the last 100 years, with a type of uplifting story so I can get my husband a connection with the picture which I will eventually put on the wall.

So do more mitzvos.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#9 sal

sal

Gabbai

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

If your husband is a gerer chosid, give up while you are ahead. Chasidim have a strange relationship with rebbes, it's usually boarder line with fanatical. Just pray that he doesn't send your kids to a gerrer school.

What do you have against a picture of the gerrer rebbe?

#10 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

If your husband is a gerer chosid, give up while you are ahead. Chasidim have a strange relationship with rebbes, it's usually boarder line with fanatical. Just pray that he doesn't send your kids to a gerrer school.

What do you have against a picture of the gerrer rebbe?

I would like to protest your broad negative brushstrokes against a significant segment of the frum population.
Just because you have a different view of Rebbi-Talmid relationships than chassidus does, in no way justifies speaking negatively about them. Not to mention that just like most stereotypes, it may not have come from nowhere, but it certainly does not apply to chassidim or chassidus across the board.
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users