FIRST MOTHER, NEWBORNS..WHAT TO GET?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I HAVE A LOT OF CLOSE FRIENDS HAVING BABIES IN THE NEXT 3MONTHS.
1 OF THEM IS A FIRST TIME MOM. THE OTHER 2 HAVE OTHER CHILDREN.

I WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT I GIVE THEM SOMETHING CUTE FOR THE BABY, WHEN I GO TO THE HOSPITAL. SO I'VE BEEN PLANING ON GIVING THEM A "DIAPER CAKE". DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD BE LIKE A "CUTE" HOSPITAL PRESENT OR JUST LAME?

THE OTHER IDEAS ARE:
1) CUTE PERSONALIZED NEWBORN ONSIE
2)FLOWERS/ BALLOONS..

THE OTHER QUESTION IS:
I WAS READING THAT ONE IS SUPPOSED TO ALSO GET A GIFT FOR THE MOTHER..
SO NOW WHATS A GOOD PRESENT?

MAYBE SOMETHING YUMMY AND COMFY.THAT THEY COULD USE AFTER THE HOSPITAL..

#2 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

DIAPER CAKE = LAME.

1) GET THE KID A REALLY NICE ONESIE.
2) BUY HER A BOPPY.
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#3 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

I JUST GOT ONE, ONE OF THOSE BLANKETS WITH LIKE LITTLE TOYS ATTACHED AND AN ARCH ON TOP... YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#4 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

STOP SHOUTING< YOU"LL WAKE THE BABY!
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#5 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

oh,sorry I just type at work. We only use caps lock here..
Anyway yes boppy is a great idea, I got my sister one of those she really used it.

Those arch toys are cute. But I feel like everyone will get them things like that..
Anyway I want to have stuff which she(the new mom) would have never thought of..

#6 Templar

Templar

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

#7 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

What kind of office only uses upper case letters ?
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#8 Templar

Templar

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

I don't know, a place where everyone has bad eyesight? :smart:

#9 mroof

mroof

Gabbai

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Diaper cakes can be tailored to include lots of bath products, onesies, toys, towels and various little things.

Posted Image

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

If you are looking for something else however, I would suggest checking to see if the couple has a baby registry open with any of the various toy/clothing/baby companies. This reduces hassle and helps to give you ideas for presents on things the parents really want.

Clothing is always a nice idea: If you buy onesies, don't get infant sizes purely, get some stuff that will be useful a few mos. down the road. My personal recommendation here is to go with some of the Carter's sets. They are beautiful, durable and there is plenty to choose from. Other great stores like The Children's Place, Crazy 8, Gymboree, Macy's and if you live in NY Conway, actually have a great baby section.

You want to also inquire or get an idea of things that parents may already have: Do they have a bouncer or swing? How about a wipe warmer, or diaper genie? A baby tub?
The Registry can definitely help out there.

My last suggestion is to go with some nice gift cards if you just can't come up with anything else and it's last minute. That way the parents can decide for themselves and buy whatever they may need.

I would avoid personalized naming on things just in case there are any last minute name changes.

Hope that helps!

I don't know, a place where everyone has bad eyesight? :smart:

Guys...data entry or excel work might require it.
.colorful .dreams
Posted Image
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances...if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

#10 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

Diaper cakes can be tailored to include lots of bath products, onesies, toys, towels and various little things.

Posted Image

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

If you are looking for something else however, I would suggest checking to see if the couple has a baby registry open with any of the various toy/clothing/baby companies. This reduces hassle and helps to give you ideas for presents on things the parents really want.

Clothing is always a nice idea: If you buy onesies, don't get infant sizes purely, get some stuff that will be useful a few mos. down the road. My personal recommendation here is to go with some of the Carter's sets. They are beautiful, durable and there is plenty to choose from. Other great stores like The Children's Place, Crazy 8, Gymboree, Macy's and if you live in NY Conway, actually have a great baby section.

You want to also inquire or get an idea of things that parents may already have: Do they have a bouncer or swing? How about a wipe warmer, or diaper genie? A baby tub?
The Registry can definitely help out there.

My last suggestion is to go with some nice gift cards if you just can't come up with anything else and it's last minute. That way the parents can decide for themselves and buy whatever they may need.

I would avoid personalized naming on things just in case there are any last minute name changes.

Hope that helps!

Guys...data entry or excel work might require it.

Hey so I also think a diaper cake is cute! but someone said its lame here..I want to buy it online but its just not worth it. Plus I want 3 of them.
Also The new mother has nothing. They belive in not buying anything before baby is born.

#11 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

That cake is cute for a shower or party, but not as a gift. She'll come home from the hospital with a newborn, need everything, and could careless about something with shtick.

Don't get anything for later. She needs everything now. Later, she'll feel well enough and want to choose her own things.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

#12 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

The Thing about the diaper cake is that you give like things with it!
You know baby products- nail clippers hair brush passifiers bottles baby was moisterizer powder. EVERYTHING a new mother needs...wash cloths etc.. baby blankets..
It has everything in it already.
Agreed that it silly to give a new mom outfits for later on. Im not a fan

#13 mroof

mroof

Gabbai

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:08 PM

The Thing about the diaper cake is that you give like things with it!
You know baby products- nail clippers hair brush passifiers bottles baby was moisterizer powder. EVERYTHING a new mother needs...wash cloths etc.. baby blankets..
It has everything in it already.
Agreed that it silly to give a new mom outfits for later on. Im not a fan

I didn't see a problem with people giving me outfits for a few mos. down the road, since I also received so many outfits in newborn sizes: I actually recall having an overabundance of newborn onesies and a lack of outfits when my daughter was around 3-6 mos. old. The extra portions had to be given away, and with the expenses I had to pay for everything else (diapers/general baby care), I ended up a bit short in this department.

Oh yea: If the parents have decided to keep baby's gender unknown, go with neutral colors like yellow, green and tan.
.colorful .dreams
Posted Image
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances...if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

#14 Red Hare

Red Hare

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

It really depends. I didn't have a washer and dryer until i had a 2nd baby, so extra things were handy.

Size small is better than newborn, specially because most babies are more than 7 lbs these days.

#15 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

Nigerian Scam Artists.

Pinchas is right - micha

#16 mroof

mroof

Gabbai

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

Nigerian Scam Artists.

<. <!-- . id="ytplayer" class="EmbeddedVideo" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://youtube.com/embed/__-c_w0i1ME?html5=1&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen /><. -->>
.colorful .dreams
Posted Image

#17 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

forget the diaper cake, just buy her diapers
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#18 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

I was gonna say just buy her cake... but we'll do it your way...

Pinchas is right - micha

#19 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

The diaper cake looks awesome!

#20 jamal

jamal

• Members
  • 94 posts