• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zicher

Zicher

Hocker

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Do you live in NY and think about moving out of town? Did you move out of town? Do you have information on out of town communities? Please share.

#2 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

I live in NYC and love all the resources that come with being here. There are some pressures and people I could live without - but I'm still here by choice.

Here are some tidbits about some out of town locations:

Teaneck - Great place if you're MO.
Passaic - best option for middle of the road, a drop yeshivish. 15 minutes from the city.
Lakewood - yeshivish. chinuch options are tough - but affordable if you can get in.
Scranton - not sure
Cleveland - really affordable housing, bad winters, poor economy. middle of the road yiddishkeit
Atlanta - highly educated, thriving economy. not so yeshivish - but yeshivish is greatly respected.
Baltimore - middle road economy, most of frum community has an city/state/government job. bottom of barrel IMO
Los Angeles - hip, not so yeshivish, good economy.
Miami - hot, good economy, real estate/tax is a drop crazy
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#3 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

I live in NYC and love all the resources that come with being here. There are some pressures and people I could live without - but I'm still here by choice.

Here are some tidbits about some out of town locations:

Teaneck - Great place if you're MO.
Passaic - best option for middle of the road, a drop yeshivish. 15 minutes from the city.
Lakewood - yeshivish. chinuch options are tough - but affordable if you can get in.
Scranton - not sure
Cleveland - really affordable housing, bad winters, poor economy. middle of the road yiddishkeit
Atlanta - highly educated, thriving economy. not so yeshivish - but yeshivish is greatly respected.
Baltimore - middle road economy, most of frum community has an city/state/government job. bottom of barrel IMO
Los Angeles - hip, not so yeshivish, good economy.

A few comments:

Teaneck: Can you really call this "out of town", i.e., not in NYC. It's literally a 15 minute bus ride from midtown Manhattan.

Passaic: It's pretty much "modern haredi", not middle of the road, and not just a "drop" yeshivish.

#4 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

A few comments:

Teaneck: Can you really call this "out of town", i.e., not in NYC. It's literally a 15 minute bus ride from midtown Manhattan.

Passaic: It's pretty much "modern haredi", not middle of the road, and not just a "drop" yeshivish.

Although Teaneck is just a few minutes away, it doesn't FEEL anything like NYC. Same with Hillside, NJ and almost anything in NJ. All these places have an out of town feel.

I'll agree with you about Passaic. But there are parts of the community where the shuls have a lot of kippah sruga's or 'no black hats'.
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#5 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

your community is not exactly typical of 'NYC'.

my brother lives there. this is fairly accurate, i cant comment on NJ

FTFY
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#6 Zicher

Zicher

Hocker

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

I agree that Teaneck and Passaic are in no sense out of town, at least from the perspective of someone who grew up in real out of town. We are considering Atlanta. What do people know about Dallas and Denver?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users