• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Has anyone very seen Yoni's Ravioli?

Its like a package in the freezer section which LOOKS Chalov Yisroel. I Have been Chalov yisroel since I was a child. I recently was going to cook for some guests b'h my sister in law mentioned they werent Chalov yisroel.
I was in Shock I had been eating/cooking them for a entire year. Afterall I ALWAYS check products this one must have gone past my radar. It just look like a Jewsish brand...kinda like the whole miller cheese thing.

Anyway so I have to ask.. I dont have to do anything with my pots right?

Just a warning for the rest of us!

#2 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Its like a package in the freezer section which LOOKS Chalov Yisroel. I Have been Chalov yisroel since I was a child. I recently was going to cook for some guests b'h my sister in law mentioned they werent Chalov yisroel.
I was in Shock I had been eating/cooking them for a entire year. Afterall I ALWAYS check products this one must have gone past my radar. It just look like a Jewsish brand...kinda like the whole miller cheese thing.

What about a package's appearance makes it look CY?
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#3 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Why would you assume something is CY unless it explicitly says so, or it has a heimishe heksher that you KNOW is always CY? :unsure:
[/flirting]

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:36 AM

Come one, why would you think Yoni is not CY? Just look how hemish the bag looks:

Posted Image
(I think they actually once were CY...)

SUMMERSUP, you should buy new pots and fast three days to be michaper...

(Also make a donation to Hashkafah.com)

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#5 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Come on imagine opening the freezer section in a predominantly kosher/ chalov yisroel store..
Trust me I usually ALWAYS check! Something about this packaging must have thrown me off.

#6 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Come on imagine opening the freezer section in a predominantly kosher/ chalov yisroel store..
Trust me I usually ALWAYS check! Something about this packaging must have thrown me off.

Is rephrasing the question as an answer like answering a question with another question, except it's the same question?
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#7 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Is rephrasing the question as an answer like answering a question with another question, except it's the same question?

Imagine saying the question but using different words.

Pinchas is right - micha

#8 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Blah Blah Blah..just Agree the packaging is misleading!

#9 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Blah Blah Blah..just Agree the packaging is misleading!

It's got a Chof-K, their policy is: "Products certified as kosher are assumed to be cholov stam unless specifically labeled as cholov yisroel."

#10 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Wow. That's horrible.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#11 BLUERIVER

BLUERIVER

Gabbai

• Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Actually you do need to kasher the pots etc. that were used to cook cholov akum. (Ram"a Yoreh Deah 115:1)
Oderint dum metuant.
So much wasted time, confusing motion with accomplishment.

#12 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

Sure you have to Kasher.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#13 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

I was told you dont need to...not by a rabbi... because its not treif...

#14 MeWho

MeWho

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sounds like you're looking for a loophole. That you want someone to tell you that you don't have to kasher the pot. Putting the hashgacha aside for a sec, would you think if you had used your pots for something that it shouldn't have been used for, it should be kashered? Doesn't your gut tell you to kasher it?

#15 BLUERIVER

BLUERIVER

Gabbai

• Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

I was told you dont need to...not by a rabbi... because its not treif...

The major halachic authorities are quite clear about this (unlike keilim that were used to cook 'bishul akum' etc.), that the keilim definitely need to be kashered.
Oderint dum metuant.

#16 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

The major halachic authorities are quite clear about this (unlike keilim that were used to cook 'bishul akum' etc.), that the keilim definitely need to be kashered.

Only when we are dealing with halachic chalav akum... not FDA milk... which is at best a sefek.

Pinchas is right - micha

#17 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Only when we are dealing with halachic chalav akum... not FDA milk... which is at best a sefek.

What does that mean? Your with me right? that its not really treif?

#18 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

What does that mean? Your with me right? that its not really treif?

Yes, I'm with you.

I'll explain with an example... I once heard someone ask if they don't keep gebrokts but their parents do, if she would have to kasher her pots to be able to have them over. The Rabbi said no, because he holds like the mishna bruera that there is nothing wrong with eating gebrokts...

Pinchas is right - micha

#19 BLUERIVER

BLUERIVER

Gabbai

• Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yes, I'm with you.

I'll explain with an example... I once heard someone ask if they don't keep gebrokts but their parents do, if she would have to kasher her pots to be able to have them over. The Rabbi said no, because he holds like the mishna bruera that there is nothing wrong with eating gebrokts...

That`s a rather absurd comparison, isn`t it ? Gebrokts is simply a chumra, while cholov-akum is absolutely forbidden by the Shulchan Aruch because of a `chashash issur deorayssa` (possible biblical prohibition). Or is this another case of Pinchas being more informed than the Rama (http://en.wikipedia..../Moses_Isserles), the Shach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shach) and the Beis Yosef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechaber)...?
In this case, they all agree that keilim that were used to cook (or marinate) cholov-akum need to be kashered. Perhaps actually take a look at the Shulchan Aruch (in this case YD 115) before misleading people....
Oderint dum metuant.

#20 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

That`s a rather absurd comparison, isn`t it ? Gebrokts is simply a chumra, while cholov-akum is absolutely forbidden by the Shulchan Aruch because of a `chashash issur deorayssa` (possible biblical prohibition). Or is this another case of Pinchas being more informed than the Rama (http://en.wikipedia..../Moses_Isserles), the Shach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shach) and the Beis Yosef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechaber)...?
In this case, they all agree that keilim that were used to cook (or marinate) cholov-akum need to be kashered. Perhaps actually take a look at the Shulchan Aruch (in this case YD 115) before misleading people....

its highly misleading to consider chalav stam, which is certified kosher (in this case by a well known, halachicly-adhering authority) as chalav akum. I believe that RMF holds that a government authority (FDA) who forces non-jewish dairy manufacturers to abide by rules which preclude non-bovine milk from being added to the production line, does not violate the issur of chalav akum.

I'm no posek, and i eat chalav stam anyways, but common sense would suggest that if it has a hechsher that you otherwise rely upon, you don't need to kasher.
When in doubt, ask a rav who is competent in cholov stam/cholov yisroel issues; but as i THINK that CY in america is more minhag than halacha, you should be fine
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users