Photo

My DH is comming hooomme! What Should I do?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

The problem with most of these magazines is that they glorify a specific ideal that everyone should conform to. In the real World, experimentation is ok and so is trying various things to show appreciation and respect for your significant other. When people denote that a particular like or dislike is solely attributed to one gender: I tend to disagree. Most of the how-to/help sections in such magazines do nothing more than provide people with common sense, rather than insight.

Example: The candle idea. One can dislike it, but realize that their significant other really enjoys watching wrestling instead. You can still take the base concept and work with it (eg. having a foot rest with a taping of the best/most recent WWF show ready, having a bunch of game-food nearby and sitting down with the SO to watch the game with him). The idea still shows appreciation for the other individual and their interests.

Assuming that 'guys hate candles' and 'women overestimate the appeal of candles to men' glorifies a concept that men somehow dislike things that women like: Both statements are not necessarily true, just a reflection of different opinions.

To Smart of a reply for me to understand.

#22 hello kitty

hello kitty

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

How about making the nice supper you spoke about and take it from there.

#23 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

The problem with most of these magazines is that they glorify a specific ideal that everyone should conform to. In the real World, experimentation is ok and so is trying various things to show appreciation and respect for your significant other. When people denote that a particular like or dislike is solely attributed to one gender: I tend to disagree. Most of the how-to/help sections in such magazines do nothing more than provide people with common sense, rather than insight.

Example: The candle idea. One can dislike it, but realize that their significant other really enjoys watching wrestling instead. You can still take the base concept and work with it (eg. having a foot rest with a taping of the best/most recent WWF show ready, having a bunch of game-food nearby and sitting down with the SO to watch the game with him). The idea still shows appreciation for the other individual and their interests.

Assuming that 'guys hate candles' and 'women overestimate the appeal of candles to men' glorifies a concept that men somehow dislike things that women like: Both statements are not necessarily true, just a reflection of different opinions.

When my wife comes home after a long trip, I like to welcome her with long periods of watching football in silence.

Come to think of it, OP, I think I have the answer!
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#24 mroof

mroof

Gabbai

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

When my wife comes home after a long trip, I like to welcome her with long periods of watching football in silence.
Come to think of it, OP, I think I have the answer!

With that kind of outlook: I would enjoy the long periods of silence myself.
.colorful .dreams
Posted Image
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances...if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

#25 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

With that kind of outlook: I would enjoy the long periods of silence myself.

I think that this is a gender divide thing, which is kind of my point. It doesn't make sense to you that a man would come home to someone he loves, and not immediately want to "be with" that person again, in some indulgent or interactive way. To some people, (I want to say most women, but you'll get offended) if a husband comes home and only wants to sit down and watch TV, that means that there's something wrong with the relationship. But it's not true at all. A man can love his wife dearly, and still come home after a tiring trip and just not think about anything for a while - drop like a stone on the couch, and flip the remote for four hours.

It might not be the nicest thing to do to his wife, and a good husband will perhaps put his interests second and enjoy doing something together, but if you dismiss out of hand anything that doesn't involve re-bonding, you're not doing it for him, you're doing it for you.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#26 mroof

mroof

Gabbai

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

I think that this is a gender divide thing, which is kind of my point. It doesn't make sense to you that a man would come home to someone he loves, and not immediately want to "be with" that person again, in some indulgent or interactive way. To some people, (I want to say most women, but you'll get offended) if a husband comes home and only wants to sit down and watch TV, that means that there's something wrong with the relationship. But it's not true at all. A man can love his wife dearly, and still come home after a tiring trip and just not think about anything for a while - drop like a stone on the couch, and flip the remote for four hours.

It might not be the nicest thing to do to his wife, and a good husband will perhaps put his interests second and enjoy doing something together, but if you dismiss out of hand anything that doesn't involve re-bonding, you're not doing it for him, you're doing it for you.

I was joking btw. :p
.colorful .dreams
Posted Image
The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances...if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

#27 justajew

justajew

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of men who like candles. I'm just saying that as a general rule, women overestimate the appeal of candles among men. I suggested reading magazines, because the same trap is likely to appear in asking many of these questions - people of a particular gender assume that people of another gender appreciate similar things. My advice helps to overcome that by playing off of that same misconception.

Men loved candles for generations until Edison came along, now we love light bulbs, who knows what science will come up with next.
"Buy land. They've stopped making it." -Mark Twain
-Remember that the ark was built by amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
-The world population will do fine without everyone's individual participation.---Brianna
-If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would have destroyed civilization.
...Of course I know what I am doing, I've seen this done dozens of times...Bugs Bunny always survives.

#28 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

LEDs :wub:

Posted Image
Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#29 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

you can just wear something h0tt
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users