Thank you gift ideas for a rabbi from a convert

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IronGipper

IronGipper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm about 2 months away from completing my conversion studies, and I really want to do something nice for my rabbi as a token of my appreciation for guiding me through this long process.

I thought about a nice piece of Judaica, but I can't think of anything he might want/need and I don't really know what his personal taste is. I thought about making a contribution to the rabbi's discretionary fund at the synagogue, but I'm wondering if that's too impersonal. Finally, I thought about a gift certificate for a nice restaurant, but now I'm not sure about that since it's not really related to Judaism.

I'd really appreciate any ideas. This is a huge moment in my life and I really want the rabbi to know how grateful I am for his guidance.
A young man studying for conversion turned to his teacher and said, "But, Rabbi Kushner, Fitzpatrick isn't a Jewish name." To which Kushner replied, "It will be."

#2 ijs

ijs

Hocker

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

My best guess is to ask around the congregation, maybe even (or especially?) other rabbis. If he is well-known, perhaps someone knows of something he would appreciate that he doesn't have. (I'm thinking in the book department, there, but could really be anything, I supposed.)

My $0.02.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chaim Yosef ben Yaakov Avraham

חיים יוסף בך יעקב אברהם

#3 Silent J

Silent J

Administrator

• Admin
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

is there a way to get this customized?

http://www.thechassa...er-70p18111.htm
Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

LIKE our page on Facebook: Hashkafah.com

#4 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

A good bottle of wine or a gift certificate for a good restaurant. In my experience with Jews, the guy will be talking about it for years to come.

"I remember back in 1979 they had this deli in Brooklyn. It was December 2nd, 1979. I ordered a pastrami on rye. It was so juicy. Perfect"

"You still remember a sandwich you ate 20 years ago?"

"Why wouldn't I? It was good"

"Wow Jews really like their food"

#5 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

A good bottle of wine or a gift certificate for a good restaurant. In my experience with Jews, the guy will be talking about it for years to come.

"I remember back in 1979 they had this deli in Brooklyn. It was December 2nd, 1979. I ordered a pastrami on rye. It was so juicy. Perfect"

"You still remember a sandwich you ate 20 years ago?"

"Why wouldn't I? It was good"

"Wow Jews really like their food"

Do you actually have any experience with Jews? I mean real live ones, not the ones in your head that fit all your stereotypes.
I don't think I have ever experienced this stereotype, and I have been surrounded by Jews all my life.
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users