judaica jewelry

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DovK

DovK

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:37 AM

What is your stand about this claim? "Fashion trends reflect a new found sense of pride in religion, its practice and Judaica jewelry, which has become the leader in the expression of this trend"

Posted Image

Edited by Silent J, 16 July 2012 - 06:33 AM.
removed site link as per our SPAM guidelines

#2 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Personally I am not seeing it. I get less and less orders for Judaica. Right now I am seeing a lot of the long layered and chunky.
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.
Why I choose to put private information in a public location

Our Aliya Blog Lots of pictures.
Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box
Coming soon. A blog to keep track of my other blogs.

New Site. New Stuff. New Sales. Swirsky Designs

#3 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Well magen dovid's were always popular in israel and still are...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#4 asoul

asoul

Masmid

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

Long time I lived in Azerbaijan. Hamsa jewelry is very popular among Muslim population.

I myself would like to have Anabek Prayer Wheel. I believe in its power.

Attached Files

#5 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

Looks cool...

Pinchas is right - micha

#6 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Long time I lived in Azerbaijan. Hamsa jewelry is very popular among Muslim population.

I myself would like to have Anabek Prayer Wheel. I believe in its power.

Is there something inside of it? Looks like I should be able to make one easily enough, but I can only base that on what I see in the picture (I am a jeweler).
"Don't listen to people who try to defend what God has done to you. God is a big boy. He can take care of himself. You take care of you"-unknown comforting visitor after we lost Gabbi

Empty Cradle, Empty Heart My thoughts, rants against God, and prayers after have a still birth of a very wanted little girl in February of 2011.

Yes, still another blog. This one is about quick kosher cooking and is more like my personal recipe box

#7 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:44 AM

Is there something inside of it? Looks like I should be able to make one easily enough, but I can only base that on what I see in the picture (I am a jeweler).

Here are the details: http://www.newthough...nstructions.htm

Pinchas is right - micha

#8 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

Hmm. If it clicks into place it must be spring loaded. I think I need to figure this out. Thanks Pinchas.

#9 asoul

asoul

Masmid

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

Hmm. If it clicks into place it must be spring loaded.

Else... The inner wheel is a wheel of prophecy. So the letters on it must be located very exactly.

#10 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Else... The inner wheel is a wheel of prophecy. So the letters on it must be located very exactly.

I have to say... I'm skeptical. The gemara says prophecy comes from Prophets... after they ceased it went to the Urim V'Turim on the Kohen Gadol's breastplate... after the destruction of the temple it went to childern... not amulets. So while it does look very cool I'm skeptical about it being any more magical than a "magic 8 ball."

Posted Image

Pinchas is right - micha

#11 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Such jewelry isn't worn by The Torah True. We have enough reminders of our Heritage. I see that most of the Jewish jewelry is bought by Reformed/Conservative/Reconstruct ionist.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

#12 spectra

spectra

Gabbai

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

I have to say... I'm skeptical. The gemara says prophecy comes from Prophets... after they ceased it went to the Urim V'Turim on the Kohen Gadol's breastplate... after the destruction of the temple it went to childern... not amulets. So while it does look very cool I'm skeptical about it being any more magical than a "magic 8 ball."

Posted Image

The urim and thummin along with the gems representing the twelve tribes of Israel, placed the children first. That is the way the high priest's breastplate is designed. The children are represented at the forefront.

When king Saul made the men take an oath not to eat that day, until he had been avenged from the philistines. King Saul placed himself first and foremost, over his men and his son. That is why God did not answer him by urim and thummin that day. Saul ended up even threatening the life of Jonathan that day. Saul did recieve his answer on that front, when they casted lots.

When God gave Solomon a request to be granted. Solomon asked for wisdom to lead the people. The Urim and Thummin are no longer mentioned.

#13 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

Thank you... but where is the Jewish source for any sort of prophetic jewelry?

Pinchas is right - micha

#14 spectra

spectra

Gabbai

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

Thank you... but where is the Jewish source for any sort of prophetic jewelry?

I was just explaining the Urim and Thummin. I agree with you about the jewelry mentioned, it seems like one of those ,how do you spell it "ouji boards".

#15 happyduck1979

happyduck1979

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Such jewelry isn't worn by The Torah True. We have enough reminders of our Heritage. I see that most of the Jewish jewelry is bought by Reformed/Conservative/Reconstruct ionist.

Not true at all. In any community I have ever lived in every frum girl had at least one magen david, generally their name in Hebrew on a chain, and most often the rings that look like the stones of the kotel with a name on them. The wheel above is not common, but judaica in general certainly is.

#16 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

where does it say children have the gift of prophesy?

#17 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

Actually zipcode guy you may be a prophet too...

"R. Johanan said: Since the Temple was destroyed, prophecy has been taken from prophets and given to fools and children."
- Baba Bathra 12b

Pinchas is right - micha

#18 sal

sal

Gabbai

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Actually zipcode guy you may be a prophet too...

"R. Johanan said: Since the Temple was destroyed, prophecy has been taken from prophets and given to fools and children."
- Baba Bathra 12b

:good:

#19 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Not true at all. In any community I have ever lived in every frum girl had at least one magen david, generally their name in Hebrew on a chain, and most often the rings that look like the stones of the kotel with a name on them. The wheel above is not common, but judaica in general certainly is.

If you have seen it then I defer to you but I personally do not see it much.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users