Photo

Why doesn't Generation X care about climate change?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sal

sal

Gabbai

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

http://weather.yahoo...-072400970.html

Why do you think they don't care.

My opinion they are of the age that they are no longer as passionate about ideology as younger people. Age and experience may have an affect on their open mindedness.

#2 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

http://weather.yahoo...-072400970.html

Why do you think they don't care.

My opinion they are of the age that they are no longer as passionate about ideology as younger people. Age and experience may have an affect on their open mindedness.

Maybe it's because the climate change isn't really visible. Summers are just as hot now as when I was a kid. Winter is the same (except I don't off school when there is a blizzard). So as a genXer - I'd say 'meh' to climate change because we don't see the truth.
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#3 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

when you get older you stop caring. It will happen to present generations too.

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:25 AM

And because you are generally stupider when you are younger. Even IF the earth average temperature were rising who's to say the cause is man made?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#5 sal

sal

Gabbai

• Members
  • 843 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

And because you are generally stupider when you are younger. Even IF the earth average temperature were rising who's to say the cause is man made?

Even if it was man made, so what?
Why should saving the planet be our goal?

I don't think they are disagreeing with science, its may just be that as you get older you become less liberal and more open minded.

I think it was Sean Hanity that said, Collage students are supposed to be liberal, it means they care. When they get older and smarter will they realize the truth.

#6 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

Good point.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#7 israeli4ever

israeli4ever

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't even know if I am a Gen-X'er, but it doesn't bother me because I don't buy it....
Disclaimer: The comments made by this poster do not necessarily represent an actual opinion, they are merely the latest output of an infinite amount of monkeys working on Shakespeare

"Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!" - Razie

"If you don't sin... Jesus died for nothing."

"because teaching is all about obscuration and obfuscation.."
- Snag

#8 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Maldives is going under....
Wikipedia:
Environmental issues

See also: The Island President
According to the president of Nauru, the Maldives are ranked the third most endangered nation due to flooding from climate change.[39] In March and April 2012 the previous President of the Maldives Mohamed Nasheed stated

“If carbon emissions were to stop today, the planet would not see a difference for 60 to 70 years,” Nasheed said. “If carbon emissions continue at the rate they are climbing today, my country will be underwater in seven years.”

and called for more climate change mitigation action while on the American television shows The Daily Show [40] and The David Letterman Show.[41]

Over the last century, sea levels have risen about 20 centimetres (8 in);[42][43] further rises of the ocean could threaten the very existence of this island nation, with its maximum natural ground level of only 2.4 metres (7 ft 8.7 in), and averaging only 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level. Eighty percent of the total land mass of the islands is only a metre above mean sea level. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) 2007 report predicted the upper limit of the sea level rises will be 59 centimetres (23 in) by the year 2100, and it means most of the republic's 200 inhabited islands will have to be abandoned.[44] At least one study appears to show that the sea level in the Maldives dropped 20–30 centimetres (8–12 in) throughout the 1970s and '80s, although later studies failed to back this up.[45] In November 2008, President Mohamed Nasheed announced plans to look into purchasing new land in India, Sri Lanka, and Australia because of his concerns about global warming, and the possibility of much of the islands being inundated with water from rising sea levels. The purchase of land will be made from a fund generated by tourism.[46] The President has explained his intentions:

"We do not want to leave the Maldives, but we also do not want to be climate refugees living in tents for decades".[47]

On 22 April 2008, then President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom pleaded for a cut in global greenhouse gas emissions, warning that rising sea levels could submerge the island nation of Maldives.[48][49]
By 2020, Maldives plans to eliminate or offset all of its greenhouse gas emissions. At the 2009 International Climate Talks, President Mohamed Nasheed explained that:

"For us swearing off fossil fuels is not only the right thing to do, it is in our economic self-interest… Pioneering countries will free themselves from the unpredictable price of foreign oil; they will capitalize on the new green economy of the future, and they will enhance their moral standing giving them greater political influence on the world stage."[50]

The evidence that there is any sea rise threat to Maldives is disputed. A study by controversial Swedish sea level commentator Nils-Axel Mörner suggested that sea levels had, in fact, fallen over time.[51][52] This conclusion was later refuted.[53] The evidence that sea levels are rising has been clearly established by the use of satellite and sea level buoys. The average, as per 2012, is 3.1mm per year. See.[54]

^ "A sinking feeling: why is the president of the tiny Pacific island nation of Nauru so concerned about climate change?". New York Times Upfront. 2011.

#9 jamal

jamal

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Im young or old, not really sure, but either way I like climate change cuz otherwise it'd get really boring having the same weather all the time.

#10 Red Hare

Red Hare

When this old you are, look as good you will not !

• Members
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm a Gen X'er and I don't care.
"There's a stroller called Phil and Ted's? Is that the kind for most excellent adventuresome babies?" Sweet

"I discovered that all the participating members here are 'black sheep' in their own circles. On Hashkafah.com, the mainstream is truly wacked." Silent J

"H.com becomes a proverbial Hotel California for many of us" Nooch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users