Photo

Mindy Meyers, Senate? 22 years old, frum girl!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

Has everyone seen this already a young frum girl is going to go for senate!

Mindy Meyer has dubbed herself "the first young woman in the history of New York to run for New York State Senate." She's definitely the first to do so with such a natural understanding of how to get noticed on the Internet: Meyer, an Orthodox Jewish 22-year-old from Brooklyn, caught viral fire today based on the flashy genius of her hot-pink campaign website, which sports the lmto-inspired slogan "I'm Senator and I Know It." (She's not. Yet.)

"I can tell you one thing, I have no experience in corruption," Meyers declares on the site. "This is how politics has to change. There is always corruption, but I have the intention to follow my values and ensure that none of what happens in my district is corrupt." But wait, there's more.

Titled in leopard print, the "Issues" section of the site includes the promise "No more 'Hunger Games' in our District!" (in reference to unemployment) next to a photo of Meyer with a toy bow and arrow, just like Katniss. Additionally, "Mindy intends to crack down on crime."

But she's not joking: The law-school student and judicial intern really is running in Brooklyn's 21st District on both Republican and conservative party lines, challenging current State Senator Kevin Parker. "I'm trying to attract a young crowd and recruit more young people ... My idea is to make it very contemporary, funky, cool, not like a typical senator’s website," Meyer tells City & State today. "Have you been to Kevin Parker's website? You could fall asleep when you go to it, everything's just red, white and blue."

"To be honest with you, the reason why I initially wanted to attend law school is because I'd watched Legally Blonde and saw Elle Woods," Meyer continues. "She showed me you could go to Harvard and make it sophisticated. Pink is my favorite color, so that's technically my inspiration, everything pink."

http://mindymeyer4se...om/contact.html her website!

I LOVEE IT! its so ridiculous, im SO going to vote! ( do people even vote?)

#2 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

NY State Senate. For US Senate she would have to be 35.... dumb website...she wants to portray herself and a dumb chick? And lose that music!

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#3 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

I don't know how one avoids pork barrel politics. There's no way to vote for each budget item individually, so one has to vote for a budget that bundles everything together. That leads to bloated budgets that include everyone's favorite boondoggle.

What questions should we be asking about her?

1) How can she say that she's tough on crime while wanting an end to the NYPD's stop and frisk policy? If police have a reasonable suspicion of imminent criminal activity, the U.S. Supreme Court allows them to frisk an individual. The NYPD's policy has been criticized because a weapon has only been recovered in 2% of the stop-and-frisk encounters. But what percentage would be acceptable to her? 10%? 25%? 50%? Is she prepared to substitute her own judgment for those of trained police officers?

2) Her bow-and-arrow photo would suggest that she is left-handed. Has she had any particular experiences as a left-handed person that have had an influence on her political positions?

3) Her website is now offline. What's the deal?

4) Does she believe that there is a shidduch crisis?

5) What is her position on tanning? Does she tan, or is her dark complexion due to genetics or makeup?

#4 ijs

ijs

Hocker

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

For US Senate she would have to be 35.

Actually, she'd only have to be 30 for U.S. Senate. One must be 35 for U.S. President.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chaim Yosef ben Yaakov Avraham

חיים יוסף בך יעקב אברהם

#5 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

3) Her website is now offline. What's the deal?

I think she saw my criticism of it and is making the changes now.

Also I think she is a former member of H.com...

Actually, she'd only have to be 30 for U.S. Senate. One must be 35 for U.S. President.

Ahh...right...my mistake... anyway still too young...

Pinchas is right - micha

#6 Bezalel

Bezalel

Stud muffin

• Members
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I think she saw my criticism of it and is making the changes now.

Actually, her website is featured heavily on places like Huffington.com, so it is probably just a crashed server. It could be a denial of service attack, though. Sadly, her website is universally derided, and she is being personally attacked by people on the basis of her Jewish identity and/or appearance.

Also I think she is a former member of H.com...

You mean I may have interacted with a future leader?

#7 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

She should scale up her hosting fast... could be losing donations!

Pinchas is right - micha

#8 SUMMERSUP

SUMMERSUP

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

Oh no!!!
I want to see the website..I wonder how many people are following her!

#9 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

It was hot pink and show a picture of her with barbie doll makeup and said "I'm senate and I know it!"

And had annoying music that you couldn't stop...

Pinchas is right - micha

#10 paganyid

paganyid

Gabbai

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

snooki?

#11 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

snooki?

hashcoffee maybe? Shuli?
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#12 yourhebrewhomie

yourhebrewhomie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

I wonder if she will become a figurehead for conservatism, and I wonder how many nonfrum people would vote for her. Or frum people, for that matter. The real question is, will she win over the larger hasidic dynasties? Are there some hasids that dont vote in bloc?

#13 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

hashcoffee maybe? Shuli?

I was thinking she reminds me of Goldfish... of course at 22 she's younger than almost all former posters here...

Pinchas is right - micha

#14 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

I was thinking she reminds me of Goldfish... of course at 22 she's younger than almost all former posters here...

Goldfish had brains. Also, she's apparently still active in other places where alumni get together, although not on a message board.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#15 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Goldfish had brains. Also, she's apparently still active in other places where alumni get together, although not on a message board.

So?

Pinchas is right - micha

#16 Sweet

Sweet

Passionately Ambivalent

• Members
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

So?

Just saying. I guess it was based on the sentiment that Hashkafah.com now feels like postwar Poland.
The world has too many stupid people who are full of confidence, and smart people who are full of self-doubt.

#17 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Just saying. I guess it was based on the sentiment that Hashkafah.com now feels like postwar Poland.

Get over it. Move on!

Pinchas is right - micha

#18 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

<. <!-- . src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/46464984" class="EmbeddedVideo" width="400" height="250" frameborder="0"><. -->>
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#19 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Okay... that answers that question... guess she got a heter to shake hands with men...

Pinchas is right - micha

#20 jamal

jamal

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

http://jstsay.in/0006nr
saw this on i think facebook and copied the link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users