• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

So this past Shabbos while making the Chulent I was horrified to discover we didn't have any more Kishkah in the freezer! Everybody knows my rule that if there's no kishkah in the chulent then it's not a chulent. What was I to do? But then DW suggested why not just make it yourself... so I looked at what I had in the fridge and threw something together. I don't have the exact measurements but it went something like this...

3 Carrots
1 Small Sweet Potato
1 Slice of butternut squash
1 Onion
1 Cup of whole wheat flour
2 Cups of oil (I used half canola-half olive)
Salt
Pepper
Sweet Paprika

I threw everything together in the food processor and let it do it's magic on high speed for like 2 minutes.

It comes out like a think paste/dough. Place that on a sheet of sliver foil and shape in into a roll wrapped in the foil. Cook for 30 minutes. (Or 2 hours if it's not going in the chulent.) At this point it will still taste a little bitter because the butternut squash hasn't cooked enough yet to become sweet. Anyway, then place the kishkah in the chulent and let it keep cooking there over night... it turns our really sweet and yummy! DW says she couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular kishkah we have. I too was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be bitter but it just needed more time to cook... in fact it was very sweet and didn't have any sugar! I might just keep making this instead of buying frozen kishkah... it was so easy to make.

Do you have any Kishkah recipes?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#2 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

So this past Shabbos while making the Chulent I was horrified to discover we didn't have any more Kishkah in the freezer! Everybody knows my rule that if there's no kishkah in the chulent then it's not a chulent. What was I to do? But then DW suggested why not just make it yourself... so I looked at what I had in the fridge and threw something together. I don't have the exact measurements but it went something like this...

3 Carrots
1 Small Sweet Potato
1 Slice of butternut squash
1 Onion
1 Cup of whole wheat flour
2 Cups of oil (I used half canola-half olive)
Salt
Pepper
Sweet Paprika

I threw everything together in the food processor and let it do it's magic on high speed for like 2 minutes.

It comes out like a think paste/dough. Place that on a sheet of sliver foil and shape in into a roll wrapped in the foil. Cook for 30 minutes. (Or 2 hours if it's not going in the chulent.) At this point it will still taste a little bitter because the butternut squash hasn't cooked enough yet to become sweet. Anyway, then place the kishkah in the chulent and let it keep cooking there over night... it turns our really sweet and yummy! DW says she couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular kishkah we have. I too was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be bitter but it just needed more time to cook... in fact it was very sweet and didn't have any sugar! I might just keep making this instead of buying frozen kishkah... it was so easy to make.

Do you have any Kishkah recipes?

Your recipe is REALLY interesting. I'd never think of putting butternut squash and sweet potato in kishka!

How did it fare out with the WW flour? Would it have been better with regular flour?

Basic kishka starts with onion, celery, carrots, and flour. Here is a simpler recipe which substitutes the flour with crackers. I bet it's REALLY good:

http://www.cooks.com...-235206,00.html
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

#3 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Indeed... but we didn't have any celery in the house nor white flour. I actually think the whole wheat worked very well. Sweet potato seems natural to me since it looks similar to kishkah (and we had some unused leftover slices from the chicken) and the butternut squash was DW idea... at first I was really upset about it because it did give the kishkah a bitter taste but like I wrote above after cooking long enough the squash gets sweeter and it has a great texture...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#4 adiel

adiel

Gabbai

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

if you REALLY want to kick it up a notch. Use 'Snackers' crackers, and FAT from the chicken.

it sounds gross and will be super unhealthy. But it will be YUM.
We are the music makers , and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Willy Wonka

What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve. - Napoleon Hill

Frumkeit without Mentchlichkeit is not Yiddishkeit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users