• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

I've been saying forever that Artscroll should have the current Daf on it's website for free (or the whole thing, certainly if they are the lishma Torah spreading non-profit they claim to the US gov't they are.)

Anyway, so Artscroll finally launched a iPad App http://itunes.apple....61409?ls=1&mt=8 (note it won't work on Android devices which are more open, only the very locked down Apple with seems an appropriate shidduch.) The app costs $1 a daf, or $17 a volume (or $7 a month for a daf a day access.)

Anyway my take... it seems someone (I'm guessing from L.A.) got fed up and made iTalmud... http://italmudapp.com/ it costs $30 and that's it. $30 for the whole shas... it includes a translation and audio shirum. It runs on the iPhone and Andriod phones (Artscroll runs on neither) and pads. It seems to me the translation is actually from Soncino which obviously isn't nearly as good as the translation Artscroll has but I hope if nothing less it forces Artscroll to open up to Andriod and to cut the price... we'll see what happens.

In the meantime the obvious loser is the Internet ban, Satmar... and Kosher Phones...

P.S. Furthermore word is that Koren is coming out with a similar app as well: http://www.korenpub....EN/tal-ipad.htm
This is Rav Adin Steinsaltz's translation... if they play their cards right (which I don't expect them to) they can be serious competition as well...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#2 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

i hope to get a tablet. it would make daf yomi significantly more convienent
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#3 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

What about Shabbos?

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#4 TimeRebbe

TimeRebbe

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

What about Shabbos?

Ill get a tablet with a shabbos mode ™
"10 a.m. - We begin our descent. On the way down, Chief of Landfills Thorne informs us that Mount Trashmore contains - I am not making this up - human body parts AND dead whales." -Dave Barry
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
"I guess the problem is that I think most people are idiots (granted, WELL MEANING idiots)" --KR

#5 Guest_halevy_*

Guest_halevy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

-

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I hire goyim to read for me on Shabbos (yes I know it's hard to find one that's qualified)...
[/flirting]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users