- Living room lamps
- A/C in living room
- Dining room lamps
- A/C in bedroom
- Restroom lamp
- Electric hot-plate
- Coffeemaker (for breakfast and seudah shelishit)
- Small convection oven (usually frozen burekas for seudah shelishit). Another benefit to using this oven is that the top surface gets hot enough that it can be used as a hot-plate to heat up chalah, hardboiled eggs, water, etc.
Issues experienced over the years:
- We have manual timers that invariably fail to turn on/off at the set times (some of them are off by 45 minutes). I gather this inaccuracy might be due to the rotational speed of the dial, which is either a little too fast or too slow. Years ago I figured out that when I plug in the timers, I have to set them either ahead or back some minutes (depending on the imprecision) from the actual time of the day. So, for example, if I wanted to plug in the timers at 5:30 PM, a timer that is behind by 45 minutes would have to be plugged in with the time arrow on the dial at 6:15 PM so that it turns on/off at the right times for the next 24 hours. Even then it’s off by a few minutes.
- Due to miscalculation on my part, the lights have occasionally turned off during a meal when guests are over. The same has happened Friday nights when I study the parashah.
- There have been a couple of times when I forgot to place the food on the hot-plate before the timer went on. No hot food those days, regrettably, as our rav does not allow placing even solids once the timer is on (unless the hot-plate is covered with a piece of sheet metal or with quite a few layers of aluminum foil).
- The same above scenario has happened with the convection oven, so, sadly, no burekas; but one can get away with eating cold food on seudah shelishit.
- Toddlers messing with the timer settings; this has happened with the timer connected to the A/C in the living room, which cools most of the house. In the summer this can be a problem. Luckily, our rav says the little trippers/pins are not muktzeh, so I can reset them on the dial.
This post makes me realize how spoiled we’ve become.