• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

You didn't notice that pots you boiled water in turned white on the inside?

And that soap doesn't work...
[/flirting]

#22 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

It would be great if your medical degree can be covered by the Absorption Ministry. But they may not cover the foreign programs (i.e., Sackler at Tel Aviv) - it's worth checking all this out beforehand.
You may have to study in Hebrew to do a degree there, and I believe the Israeli medical schools are very selective (too few programs and too many people who want to be doctors), plus the requirements may be different than an Anglo-medical school (i.e., U.S. Britain, etc.) it may be straight through from undergrad you start your medical degree.

Also, doctors make low salaries, but then again, so do most Israelis. :(
Yes, housing and other cost of living prices are high and salaries are low.
Many people live in debt from month to month.
Just be prepared for this type of economic situation before you come.

I don't want to discourage you, I still think it's worth going to live there. The quality of life is better.
But not the economy.
I just think people should be prepared.

#23 casey

casey

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

It would be great if your medical degree can be covered by the Absorption Ministry. But they may not cover the foreign programs (i.e., Sackler at Tel Aviv) - it's worth checking all this out beforehand.
You may have to study in Hebrew to do a degree there, and I believe the Israeli medical schools are very selective (too few programs and too many people who want to be doctors), plus the requirements may be different than an Anglo-medical school (i.e., U.S. Britain, etc.) it may be straight through from undergrad you start your medical degree.

Also, doctors make low salaries, but then again, so do most Israelis. :(
Yes, housing and other cost of living prices are high and salaries are low.
Many people live in debt from month to month.
Just be prepared for this type of economic situation before you come.

I don't want to discourage you, I still think it's worth going to live there. The quality of life is better.
But not the economy.
I just think people should be prepared.

A doctor in South Africa makes about R350 000 when starting out ($41000), I doubt Israeli salaries for doctors are lower than this. But Israel is like South Africa, everything is expensive except your salary, haha. Also I want to Hebracize my surname, which means "eagle ruler." I translated this to "עיטסרגל" but I'm unsure if it's exactly correct as my (modern) Hebrew is at best, pathetic. Does anyone know if that looks alright? Thanks!

#24 Shoshi

Shoshi

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

A doctor in South Africa makes about R350 000 when starting out ($41000), I doubt Israeli salaries for doctors are lower than this. But Israel is like South Africa, everything is expensive except your salary, haha.

It's possible that Israeli doctors make less than $41,000, especially early in their career.
Certainly most professions in Israel make much less than $41,000/year.

#25 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:45 AM

According to JTA Israeli doctors make between $72,000USD a year and $84,000USD:

http://www.jta.org/n...-live-in-israel

Also if you cut out teachers and nurses I don't know that I agree that MOST "professionals" are making less than $41K a year. Skilled workers get paid much more. JTA says the average salary is over $30K and that includes all jobs including low skill jobs. Lawyers get at least $66K and up the 6 figure range... same holds true for managers...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#26 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Also even though doctors make FAR less, they basically pay NOTHING for med school...
[/flirting]

#27 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

That's true... I know doctors that went to Columbia U and have over 200K in student loans to pay back...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#28 radioreuven

radioreuven

Masmid

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

I was wondering a few things:

- cost of living in haifa
- the Israeli version of medical school (I'm a sophomore on my BA in Biology)
- can I keep my american citizenship?
- how much money would it be a good idea to bring with me?

Thank you!

-for a single guy not so much. Renting a small apartment or a room is not bad. Haifa and it's suburbs are affordable compared to other parts of the country.
-yes there are such programs
-yes you can and should
-as much as you can.

In my area (near Haifa) there are a lot of english speakers who are going to medical school in Haifa. Some stay after school and many go back to the US to do residency. You'll get money as an oleh for the first year from the government. You can possibly get your education paid for especially if you're under 28. As some have pointed out doctors work for the kupat cholim and privately after hours. The water here in Haifa is hard as everywhere in Israel but not as bad tasting as in Jerusalem. It's actually better here compared to most other parts of the country. It's not a big deal to drink from the tap here. If it's really a problem which it shouldn't be, water-softeners, filters or chelating agents are affordable. I haven't used them yet. Good luck.
Made aliyah 08/2011
Every Jew should Make Aliyah!
If most people on this forum are "normal" I'd rather be "off".
Imma doesn't let...
He has "what" to rely on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users