Shalom :)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rivka5768

Rivka5768

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

Please correct me if I said that wrong. I just want to introduce myself, I am Rebecca, 24. I was raised Christian, Southern Baptist, however I question things too much to ever "fit in" with my families beliefs lol. My name is a variant of the Hebrew name Rivka, so I was wondering if I could learn some things.

What would you tell someone who knows very little about Judaism and what it means to be a "Jew". (Isn't "Hebrew" more important than "Jew"? I dunno..)

\

What would you tell someone who knows very little about Judaism and what it means to be a "Jew". (Isn't "Hebrew" more accurate**** than "Jew"? I dunno..)

sorry I'm tired and was reading something while typing

#2 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

"Hebrew" sort of went out of style after the Exodus from Egypt...
[/flirting]

#3 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

עבד עברי
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#4 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Now we can all see how wonderful this forum is. lol

What it means to be a Jew- close identification with the "tribe" part of a common heritage/nation.

#5 usuario

usuario

Hocker

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hi Rivka!

I'm sort of the same way, except I'm interested in learning about Islam.

The reality is that most Jewish people in the U.S. and Canada are NOT religious. Yet this internet forum is one for Orthodox Jews. So the answer that the people on this forum will give will most likely be very different than the ones you would get from secular Jews.

#6 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

עבד עברי

If you want to be one of those, be my guest...
[/flirting]

#7 Snag

Snag

הבל יפצה פי

• Banned
  • 11,108 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

If you want to be one of those, be my guest...

Just showing that the term didn't drop out of all use.
"Spiritual wants and instincts are as various in the human family as are physical appetites, complexions, and features, and a man is only at his best, morally, when he is equipped with the religious garment whose color and shape and size most nicely accommodate themselves to the spiritual complexion, angularities, and stature of the individual who wears it."

"The despotism of heaven is the one absolutely perfect government. An earthly despotism would be the absolutely perfect earthly government, if the conditions were the same; namely, the despot the perfectest individual of the human race, and his lease of life perpetual. But as a perishable perfect man must die, and leave his despotism in the hands of an imperfect successor, an earthly despotism is not merely a bad form of government, it is the worst form that is possible."

-Mark Twain

#8 Rivka5768

Rivka5768

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

lol again, I don't mean to offend. I hear all sorts of different things.

Hi Rivka!

I'm sort of the same way, except I'm interested in learning about Islam.

I just got done learning about Islam. Well, not DONE but I've had about enough of people trying to convert me.

I mean I kinda stopped reading the Bible after Exodus so that makes sense. Not to mention my Bible and your Torah are probably very different. So forgive my ignorance, that's why I ask questions :)

#9 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I mean I kinda stopped reading the Bible after Exodus so that makes sense. Not to mention my Bible and your Torah are probably very different. So forgive my ignorance, that's why I ask questions :)

The "Old Testament" is pretty much the same, just poorly translated at times...
[/flirting]

#10 Rivka5768

Rivka5768

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

I know that. But things are left out and yes poorly translated.

#11 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:04 PM

No, I think you guys (depending on your persuasion) have extra stuff that we don't, not the other way around...
[/flirting]

#12 Rivka5768

Rivka5768

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

No, I think you guys (depending on your persuasion) have extra stuff that we don't, not the other way around...

Don't "you guys" me. I'm not Christian. And yes lol I can see what you mean by extra stuff. New testament? lol. As far as the "old testament" goes.....I want to learn the Jewish format. Hebrew and all haha. hopefully

#13 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

No I meant other stuff as well. Like 2 extra Psalms for example...
[/flirting]

#14 Rivka5768

Rivka5768

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

No I meant other stuff as well. Like 2 extra Psalms for example...

Really?? See I didn't know this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users