Bestiality in Shas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HadasahHadash

HadasahHadash

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I know this is a weird first post, but this is a serious question. Not trying to stir up trouble.

I've been following daf yomi and am seriously shocked/confused by a passage in todays blat (Shabbat 86b) that discusses how long semen transmits impurity if it is secreted from a woman after sexual relations. The passage first discusses the case of a Jewish woman, then a non-Jewish woman and finally an animal. The Koren translation that I am using reads "What is the halakha with regard to semen of a Jew in the womb of an animal?" 

Bestiality has also been raised as an issue in Berachot (56) in a passage on dream interpretation, but at least there it was not presented as an actual event but as a dream sequence. 

I know the Talmud often discusses improbable situations to tease out the intricacies of halacha, but I'm still surprised that this is mentioned without any negative comments. And in any case, isn't there a ruling in shas to the effect that "The children of Israel are not suspected of bestiality"? How can the passage in Shabbat be reconciled with this idea?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks and Shabbat Shalom,

Hadasah

#2 33948

Shtark

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I thought bestiality and incest are banned in the Torah.

#3 warren

warren

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

how odd, you can say 'pass' but not 'passage'

Poe's law: without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between sincere extremism and an exaggerated parody of extremism

If not now, when? Because I have lunch plans.

Purple is indeed very important

The Uncertainty Principle. It proves we can't ever really know... what's going on. So it shouldn't bother you. Not being able to figure anything out. Although you will be responsible for this on the mid-term. - "A Serious Man"

#4 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I thought this was about the Shas party...

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#5 Majorthinker

Majorthinker

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

What Pinchas said.

על כל אחד ואחת להוסיף בתורה ובמצוות כדי להכריע את עצמו ואת כל העולם כולו לכף זכות!
'It is every Jew's duty to add in Torah and mitzvot in order to bring the geula.'

#6 Pinny

Pinny

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I just looked it. up. There is no question in my mind that it is theoretical, i.e., the gemara is using  this theoretical case as an extreme in order to clarify the boundaries of the halacha.

#7 shaya_getzl

shaya_getzl

Duogenarian ventriloquist

• Members
  • 7,858 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Gee, some #######s never change ...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
"I am, like, kinda retarded. In a good sense of the word" ~ Brianna

#8 Guest_Israel Reals_*

Guest_Israel Reals_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

WIN a LUXURIOUS ALL-EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO ISRAEL by answering our survey!

Click Here: http://israelreals.com/survey/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users