• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 the Real Adiel

the Real Adiel

The REAL Adiel

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:35 PM

Does anyone know the scoop? Is this reliable?

BrooklynBeans.com

I am Adiel's Advocate.

#2 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:40 PM

Depends who you ask.
So little room, so much to say!
The day will come when I will be able to properly and fully express myself in my sig. Today is a sad day.

#3 cynic

cynic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

I had to look this up before, I posted a thread about it.
From what I found out, it is not reliable and not to be trusted.
Then again, someone said it's OK on its bread hechshers and everything else is no good.

#4 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

I've mostly seen it in places that are open on Shabbat. Including one bakery that I'm 95% sure is Jewish-owned.
Remember, correlation does not equal causation.
Coincidence does not imply correlation.

Warning: ever-present baby may result in mis-reading of posts.

#5 SS613

SS613

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:35 PM

I've seen this heksher mostly on Cheese and Fish products. A black hat Rabbi I know supervises a resturant and they use this cheese (he is OK with it), but he seems to be in the minority.

I'd like to find out more after seeing the cheeses at Costco with this heksher for PENNIES.

#6 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:41 PM

The thing is, like with other possibly dubious hechsherim, having a Tablet-K doesn't necessarily mean it's treif. It just means we can't trust it to be kosher. So that rabbi might trust that specific cheese, but it doesn't mean the whole hechsher is OK. I know of specific products under other "bad" hechsherim that are deemed to be OK.

#7 enigma

enigma

רבנית

• Members
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:14 AM

My rabbi doesn't like it, and he works in kashrus.
אין הדבר תלוי אלא בי

"Have you seen H&M this season? It looks like the 70's threw up on the 80's." ~holy

#8 Anonymous ben Kalonymous

Anonymous ben Kalonymous

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

I could deal with no Mrs. Paul's or Gortons, but when I saw the Cabot cheeses at Costco, I almost dropped. So many nice looking cheeses, and such a useless hashgacha. It almost brought a tear to my eye.

:)

.abk

#9 the Real Adiel

the Real Adiel

The REAL Adiel

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for help, I'll stay away.

BrooklynBeans.com

I am Adiel's Advocate.

#10 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:25 AM

I've mostly seen it in places that are open on Shabbat. Including one bakery that I'm 95% sure is Jewish-owned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have seen it on places where the store is primarily Jewish-owned and closed on Rosh Hashanah and YK-- but the store sells other objectionable "stuff" that we wouldn't eat.
The day will come when I will be able to properly and fully express myself in my sig. Today is a sad day.

#11 Arrow656

Arrow656

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

The Dunkin Donuts in Sloatsburg is under Tablet K, but only for the donuts. What bothers me about this is that right next to the donuts are bagels and croissants which are not certified kosher. Also, that Dunkin Donuts sells bacon and sausage. I have seen frum people eating there but I myself don't feel comfortable. Yes, the donuts are kosher (according to those who hold that Tablet K is kosher) but I'm just not comfortable eating a donut from a place that sells ham.

#12 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

The Dunkin Donuts in Sloatsburg is under Tablet K, but only for the donuts. What bothers me about this is that right next to the donuts are bagels and croissants which are not certified kosher. Also, that Dunkin Donuts sells bacon and sausage.  I have seen frum people eating there but I myself don't feel comfortable. Yes, the donuts are kosher (according to those who hold that Tablet K is kosher) but I'm just not comfortable eating a donut from a place that sells ham.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bingo-- that's what I'm talking about-- but by me it's a bagel store.

#13 SS613

SS613

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

I could deal with no Mrs. Paul's or Gortons, but when I saw the Cabot cheeses at Costco, I almost dropped.  So many nice looking cheeses, and such a useless hashgacha.  It almost brought a tear to my eye. 

.abk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The cheeses are the reason I want to eat this heksher. I believe an entire lb of feta at Costco costs a little over six dollars.

Do you think that a call to the company to tip them off about the heksher would be in order (or even correct)? I'd love to see a different heksher on their cheeses in possible.

#14 NY-LON

NY-LON

Toddler Chaser

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

I could deal with no Mrs. Paul's or Gortons, but when I saw the Cabot cheeses at Costco, I almost dropped.  So many nice looking cheeses, and such a useless hashgacha.  It almost brought a tear to my eye. 

.abk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The cheeses are the reason I want to eat this heksher. I believe an entire lb of feta at Costco costs a little over six dollars.

Do you think that a call to the company to tip them off about the heksher would be in order (or even correct)? I'd love to see a different heksher on their cheeses in possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You could certainly try, saying they could increase sales by switching hechsherim. If Tablet-K is already enforcing the rules that, say, the OU is, it might switch. If Tablet-K is not holding the same standard on laws of gevinat akum, they may not want to take the steps necessary to conform to standard practice.

It would be nice if they did switch. I ate Cabot cheddar before going strictly kosher and it's very good. Much better than the usual kosher cheese.

#15 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

What does the symbol look like? Does anyone have a picture on their computer?

#16 SS613

SS613

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:34 PM

I can't post a pic, but I can describe the Tablet K.

Imagine the luchot (in the way most non-Jews would imagine them) with a K inside.

#17 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:46 PM

like this
zinh.

#18 WanderingJew

WanderingJew

Hocker

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:49 PM

I believe its reform.

#19 politico

politico

• Banned
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

I believe its reform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what led you to that belief?
zinh.

#20 Jennifer

Jennifer

Rebbe

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:35 PM

I can't post a pic, but I can describe the Tablet K. 

Imagine the luchot (in the way most non-Jews would imagine them) with a K inside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

like this

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users