• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Sdargant

Sdargant

Things that make you go hmmm

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

I have tried to give Rabbi Machlis money. i even asked him how much gefilte fish I could drop by, I wanted a share in the mitzvah. he said that he wasnt accepting donations, he wanted the whole mitzvah.
Maybe times have changed
Ayzeh kef lihiyot yehudi....

#22 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:05 PM

I have tried to give Rabbi Machlis money. i even asked him how much gefilte fish I could drop by, I wanted a share in the mitzvah. he said that he wasnt accepting donations, he wanted the whole mitzvah.
Maybe times have changed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... did you try using the paypal that is at the blogspot link Tova posted above.

Or mailing:
American Friends of Chesed L'Orchim
552 E 5th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11218

Does anyone know if these are for real? Especailly in light of Bird saying Rabbi Machlis isn't accepting money.

Pinchas is right - micha

For the record, IRL he is a really nice guy! - HappyDuck, Z"L

#23 hashfanatic

hashfanatic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:22 PM

OMG, no.

#24 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

OMG, no.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What?

Here's some information from the Machlis blog-

Should you have any questions about the Machlises, whether about contributing, visiting or otherwise, please don't hesitate to write (and offer your phone number if you would like me to call you back) ~ Moshe Rudner at mailto:[email protected]

BTW, the Machlises are in the Jerusalem phonebook, if that's of any assistance. (Just found the numbers.)
So little room, so much to say!
The day will come when I will be able to properly and fully express myself in my sig. Today is a sad day.

#25 hashfanatic

hashfanatic

Godol Hador

• Banned
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

What I meant was, OMG, please don't let there be a scam.

Sad when you have to think that way. :(

#26 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's a scam. I think Rabbi Machlis doesn't accept money directly but other people are still collecting for them because they know it's needed. But in today's day and age it is sad to have to worry about someone just putting up a blog like that as a scam... :(

(Anyway Aish.com listed the same mailing address.)

Pinchas is right - micha

#27 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's a scam. I think Rabbi Machlis doesn't accept money directly but other people are still collecting for them because they know it's needed. But in today's day and age it is sad to have to worry about someone just putting up a blog like that as a scam...  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for the cynicism, but if Rabbi Machlis isn't accepting donations, how is the money from the collection getting to him? How about leaving "donations" on their doorstep-- like fruit and veggies, etc?
The day will come when I will be able to properly and fully express myself in my sig. Today is a sad day.

#28 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Maybe times have changed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... did you try using the paypal that is at the blogspot link Tova posted above.

Or mailing:
552 E 5th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11218

Does anyone know if these are for real? Especailly in light of Bird saying Rabbi Machlis isn't accepting money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pinchas, you didn't catch on to this? The address seems to be that of Rabbi Gedalyah Machlis, presumably a relative...If you want to make sure, give a call!

#29 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's a scam. I think Rabbi Machlis doesn't accept money directly but other people are still collecting for them because they know it's needed. But in today's day and age it is sad to have to worry about someone just putting up a blog like that as a scam...  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for the cynicism, but if Rabbi Machlis isn't accepting donations, how is the money from the collection getting to him? How about leaving "donations" on their doorstep-- like fruit and veggies, etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll tell you a story about Rabbi Machlis that happened to me actually the first time I went there. Actually it was an out shabbos, and you know how it is, one guy gets the idea to go to the Machlis's and before you know it we had a group of 15 people. We did call ahead. But when we got there it started filling up. They moved all the tables outside. And people were sitting knee to chair. Still more people came. So we started feeling guilty about it. One of the guys stood up and told Rabbi Machlis that we would leave to make room and that we have plenty of food in Yeshiva and can eat there. And he replied:

"Please don't go. I will be very very upset if you leave!"

It went back and forth a bit more but Rabbi Machlis was very firm in insisting we not leave. He makes everybody feel as welcome as possible.

So it's possible that one the spot Rabbi Machlis won't personally accept donations - like what Bird tried to give - because he doesn't want to make people feel unwelcome. But if it costs $2000 a week where else is the money coming from?

Pinchas is right - micha

#30 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

Maybe times have changed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or mailing:
552 E 5th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11218

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pinchas, you didn't catch on to this? The address seems to be that of Rabbi Gedalyah Machlis, presumably a relative...If you want to make sure, give a call!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good girl! :thumbsup:

I admit I didn't start looking. But yep now I got the number, plus other goodies and I'm running the backround check right now... but yeah, it looks good. :D whew!

Pinchas is right - micha

#31 Kalashnikover_Rebbe

Kalashnikover_Rebbe

fine, nice looking, batampte Ben Torah

• Members
  • 26,049 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

The fund is 100% real, the address is his Brother's in brooklyn and perhaps at one point he wasn't accepting donations, but now the expenses are so great I guess there is little alternative.

No scam here.
[/flirting]

#32 Miketab

Miketab

Rebbe

• Members
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Rav Machlis was one of my two favorite Rabbis from Yeshiva when I was in Israel.
He's really an amazing mentch. I couldn't believe anyone could be so giving...

#33 Tova

Tova

Godol Hador

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

Good girl!  :thumbsup:

I admit I didn't start looking. But yep now I got the number, plus other goodies and I'm running the backround check right now... but yeah, it looks good.  :D whew!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Once you make aliya are you till going to be able to make all of your checks? We'll miss that.

BTW, do they have to be listed with the IRS? Couldn't find an entry.

#34 Pinchas

Pinchas

Make Aliyah!

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

Good girl!  :thumbsup:

I admit I didn't start looking. But yep now I got the number, plus other goodies and I'm running the backround check right now... but yeah, it looks good.  :D whew!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Once you make aliya are you still going to be able to make all of your checks?

Let's just say... yes. Leave it at that. ;)

BTW, do they have to be listed with the IRS?  Couldn't find an entry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No they don't. :unsure:

BTW the story checks out. There's also a Mordechai Machlis listed at that address...

Anyway I never thought it was a scam but you want to make sure they are accepting donations, that's all.

Pinchas is right - micha

#35 Sdargant

Sdargant

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:52 AM

Maybe times have changed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or mailing:
552 E 5th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11218

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my dh, and I believe that was before we were married (years ago).
Right now, B"H we have our own shabbos guest "program" and other local tzadekas to deal with. Let alone now dh has a family, and less money.

Note to dh: Please don't transfer money into that paypal! We have our own shabbos guest mitzva, B"H.

No folks, I'm not stingy or anything like that. I just know that dh would donate, because he is overly generous, but we really do have enough local stuff right now.

If you want to check it out just call the machli ;)

#36 Sdargant

Sdargant

• Members
  • 3,484 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

So it's possible that one the spot Rabbi Machlis won't personally accept donations - like what Bird tried to give - because he doesn't want to make people feel unwelcome. But if it costs $2000 a week where else is the money coming from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea. But I know the meals used to be smaller, before they were so known. So it was probably cheaper back then.

#37 Guest_moshe_*

Guest_moshe_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:38 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea. But I know the meals used to be smaller, before they were so known. So it was probably cheaper back then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey y'all Moshe here, as in the fellow who put up the Machlis site letting people know that helping them out aint too bad an idea. As for donating to them yourselves, I'd say that you wouldn't want to personally give them a check for a few bucks as that would obviously make them feel uncomfortable but I'm sure mailing it to them would be a fine idea. As for more substantial donations, well that's what they really need. It isn't my place to share information that relates to their personal finances, so I won't, but the ability to get a big chelek in the machlises extraordinary mitzvah is there. And if you want to check that for yourself then just ask the Rav, but please only if you're considering giving substantially, it isn't kovodik to ask him about these things if there isn't a serious toeles.

The Machlises obviously are not a charity and they've never thought of what they do that way. They began taking people into their house when they first got married (and not just on Shabbat by the way, they actually had homeless folk Living in their house in their earlier years before their bedrooms filled up with little machlii) - anyhow, they began taking people into their house over twenty years ago and they just continued doing it, at first with money they had, then with money they borrowed, then...

Suffice it to say, they don't have the tremendous amount of money that it takes to do what they do and over the years they've had a hard time continuing, although of course they would never stop. You realize that it isn't just yeshiva bachurim and seminary girls who go there, there are homeless people and all sorts of other people who literally Need what the machlises do.

Thank God they've had the good fortune every so often for someone to realize that they need gelt (and that's usually what it takes because they very rarely actually Ask for donations) and they've gotten some help in large lump sums. Not enough to cover their costs, or even to pay Last years costs, but much needed money nonetheless.

As for the website that I put up, I didn't put it up as part of any fundraising campaign but rather so that there be a way for people to give if they should happen to do a search for the machlises. All sorts of people go through their house, many no doubt who could make a serious donation, and in the event that one of those people happens to do a search on the machlises because they're inspired, they should know how they could donate.

As for whether the site is Rav approved, it is. I first put the site up and then asked the Rav whether I could Keep it up. I read him the page (he doesn't have internet access- lotsa kids in the house) and obviously he was unhappy with the praise (Severely unhappy) but he allowed me to keep it up.

Thus far though I don't know how much good it's done. I'd like to hope that thousands of visitors are sending checks to American Friends of Chesed Lorchim or straight to the family in Israel, but the activity on paypal hasn't been too substantial. That being the case, I would imagine that sooner or later I'll take it down, praise and honor for their tzidkis is not something they're very into.

Anyhow, I don't know how many of you might know people who could donate a few thousand dollars at a shot or even a few hundred, but if you do, please let them know that the Machlises could use it.

In the event that anyone is concerned about fraud and the possibility that the money wouldn't get to the Rav and Rebetzin, the Israeli address is where the live and can easily be checked out by anyone who's in the area. The American address and tax deductible charity (American Friends...) is run by the Rav's brother and the paypal address is one that I'm currently running (not that I've had much to 'run' yet :( ) I realize though that most of you folk probably don't know me (though I'd imagine some of you do), and that could obviously be a concern for other people wanting to donate as well. Obviously I'd prefer that the Rav and Rebetzin run the paypal account themselves, but like I said, thus far they don't have access. I will though give them a call shortly and see whether I could have the paypal info handed over to a family member of theirs, in which case I'll post that info on their blog. But anyhow, I'm legit. If ya don't trust me, send them checks! :D

Anyhow, please do tell people about the blog (The Machlis Experience), and also please add your own personal comments, it would be great if the blog were active and filling up with all sorts of testimonials. Obviously I'll add a post for people to check out the testimonials in the conversation y'all've been having.

Kol Tuv, and if ya want to write me (and get a quicker response than if you send to the email posted on the blog) send to [email protected]

Tizku L' Mitzvot!

Moshe

#38 Existentialfish

Existentialfish

Masmid

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:11 AM

Let me just add, that I am Bird's husband, I used birds name by accident. And I certainly think that donating to R. Machlis is a tzedakah on the first order. Anyone who has gone there for a meal, if they are working now, is probably chayiv, from a hakoros hatov perspective, to donate some money. and if you havent gone there, go now. It is almost worth the trip to israel just to eat a meal there.

I couldnt figure out how he was doing it, now I know. He may not have wanted to take money for me because i too was in a difficult financial situation. Or 10 years ago, he might not have had to. Or maybe he just didnt want my money, who knows.

The man walks and breathes and lives ahavas yisroel. In another forum they asked where the tzaddikim are, they are alive and well in Maalot dafna, serving chumus.

#39 youngwifeandmum

youngwifeandmum

Incredible

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:13 AM

Let me just add, that I am Bird's husband, I used birds name by accident.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) Sheesh, wish i could hubby on board.
The instructions said, Windows 98 or better
So I bought a Mac!

Every so often, I like to go the window, look up, and smile for a satelite picture.

#40 neutral

neutral

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:18 AM

Maybe times have changed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or mailing:
552 E 5th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11218

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the address of a relative of the Machlis family who collects the funds and sends it all to Israel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users