Does Anyone Here Know This Couple

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 neutral

neutral

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:19 AM

What I meant was, OMG, please don't let there be a scam.

Sad when you have to think that way. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know as a fact it isnt
I guess these days, everyone is guilty until proven innocent

#42 neutral

neutral

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

So it's possible that one the spot Rabbi Machlis won't personally accept donations - like what Bird tried to give - because he doesn't want to make people feel unwelcome. But if it costs $2000 a week where else is the money coming from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea. But I know the meals used to be smaller, before they were so known. So it was probably cheaper back then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he doesnt want ppl to give directly to him, but to give through the fund-and funds are desperately needed

#43 cbay102002

cbay102002

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:35 PM

WOW. Amazing story and couple and 13 children WOW

#44 PinkFire

PinkFire

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:54 PM

Yes, they still have the meals-don't worry!

#45 Savannah

Savannah

~*~ pixie smile ~*~

• Members
  • 20,505 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hey y'all Moshe here, as in the fellow who put up the Machlis site letting people know that helping them out aint too bad an idea. As for donating to them yourselves, I'd say that you wouldn't want to personally give them a check for a few bucks as that would obviously make them feel uncomfortable but I'm sure mailing it to them would be a fine idea. As for more substantial donations, well that's what they really need. It isn't my place to share information that relates to their personal finances, so I won't, but the ability to get a big chelek in the machlises extraordinary mitzvah is there. And if you want to check that for yourself then just ask the Rav, but please only if you're considering giving substantially, it isn't kovodik to ask him about these things if there isn't a serious toeles.

Bump

This makes it sound like if you're not willing to give a big donation, don't give at all. That's a really cr@ppy attitude.

Unless I'm misunderstanding.

#46 dude

dude

Gabbai

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

Bump

This makes it sound like if you're not willing to give a big donation, don't give at all. That's a really cr@ppy attitude.

Unless I'm misunderstanding.

I don't think you read the thread from start to finish before posting your comment. All that Moshe is saying is that when a man of the Machlis' stature are spending $,000 a week on hachnosas orchim it isn't dignified to stop him in the street to hand him a shekel. For that you can use Paypal or the postal service. It's a bit like giving the Rosh Yeshiva of a large prestigious Yeshiva $3. For those kinds of donations one uses the tzedokah pushkah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users